Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Renzo Rosales <z-...@juno.com> on 2003/01/23 19:41:23 UTC

[users@httpd] UserDir and 403 Forbidden Error

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP 1 and Apache 2.0.43 and have
set up httpd.conf as so:

UserDir "/Documents and Settings/*/Desktop/www/"
UserDir disabled administrator guest visitor
UserDir enabled rrosales

But when I go to http://127.0.0.1/~rrosales/ , I receive a 403 Forbidden
error. I have created an account for Apache to run as, I called Apache
HTTPD, and have allowed it to have read access to Documents and Settings
(inherited permissions is set to on, so it's subfolders are affected too)
but I still get the 403 error. Does anyone have a tip to fix my problem?
Thanks

z-lite

Re: [users@httpd] UserDir and 403 Forbidden Error

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Three points;

* did you mean "C:/Documents and Settings/*/Desktop/www"
  (you seem to have ommitted the C: and I don't know that the trailing
  slash is a good idea - or not.)

* Do the directories rrosales, rrosales\Desktop and rrosales\Desktop\www
  have "List Directory" permissions?  If a any of the directories leading
  to a given document can't be listed, Apache on Windows, OS2 & NetWare
  will fail.  This is because Apache will insist on finding the *real* name of
  the directory entry (so it can distinguish Docume~1 or "documents and
  settings" as it's true, exact name; "Documents and Settings".)

* Are the contents of the directory rrosales\Desktop\www all world-readable?
  If not, again Apache might have troubles serving them.

Finally, none of this really matters in 2.0.43 due to various bugs.  Please
upgrade to 2.0.44 (the bug in that release was only for the Win9x family.)
Then report back.

Bill