Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2013/04/11 17:43:45 UTC

Abstract proposal for FOSS4G

Hello all

I edited Chris's abstract (thanks Chris!) for the FOSS4G. If anyone has
comments or volunteer for fixing my broken English, that would be
appreciated. The deadline is tomorrow (Friday) night UTC time. Sorry for
being again at the last minute...

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/presentations/FOSS4G-2013/abstract.txt

In this abstract proposal, I merged "geoapi-conformance" and "Apache
SIS" in a single talk in the hope to increase the chances of being
accepted. I also tried to explain what may distinguish SIS from other
projects. Apache license is one thing, but I think we needs more than
that in order to attract interest. In this abstract proposal I propose
the attention given to the geoscience needs and data integrity. Other
suggestions are welcome.

     Martin

Re: FOSS4G submission rejected

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Le 30/04/13 17:46, Adam Estrada a écrit :
> Oh no! We'll get'em next time, Martin!

Thanks :-)

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Oh no! We'll get'em next time, Martin!

Adam

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks for the heads up, Martin.

We'll keep progressing and let our code do the talking.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

FOSS4G submission received (not yet accepted)

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello all

Just for letting people know that the abstract submission for the FOSS4G
has been received, and notification about acceptance or refusal is
expected in the first half of May.

     Martin

Re: Abstract proposal for FOSS4G

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Adam

Thank very much for the correction. I applied them verbatim.

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Looks pretty good, Martin. I made a couple changes.

Progress in testing integrity of geoscience software, and
implementation in Apache SIS

The Geospatial integrity of geoscience software (GIGS) guidances is a
set of tests developed
by the authors of the well-known EPSG database. From their web site:

    GIGS is a process developed in response to significant concern and
user experiences
    of violations of geospatial integrity of data when using
geoscience software, resulting
    in incorrect results, inconsistent understanding and misleading
information for the user
    community.

This talk will cover the progress over the last 2 years in the
implementation of GIGS tests
in the GeoAPI conformance test suites. GeoAPI Conformance is a suite
of JUnit tests that any
GeoAPI implementation can leverage. The relationship with CITE tests
will be briefly explained and the
execution of GIGS tests will be demonstrated on Proj.4, the UCAR
NetCDF library and Apache SIS.

The Apache Spatial Information System (SIS) is a top level project at
the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF). The goals of Apache SIS are to provide an ALv2 licensed Java
toolkit and API that developers
can leverage to build spatial information systems. This includes the
OGC/ISO services commonly found
in similar toolkits (metadata, referencing, queries, etc.) with
particular attention given to the
needs of geoscience applications and data integrity.

The SIS project has undergone successful incubation at the ASF in fall
2012. The project is both
relatively young, and in the process of inheriting a relatively large
code base from other projects.
This situation gives to users an opportunity to influence the SIS
design in an early stage and
experiment now what may come later.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Martin Desruisseaux <

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Just read the latest one -- great work Martin and now that it's submitted
I'll head over and VOTE on it! :)