Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com> on 2013/10/16 11:31:02 UTC

Re-Designing the Database Schema for Stratos Manager (SM)

Hi Devs,

For $subject I came across the following initial database design. The
intention of this database is to persist the details for a cartridge
subscription. Please share your thoughts.

[image: Inline image 1]

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
+94 716 358 048* <http://wso2.com/>*

Re: Re-Designing the Database Schema for Stratos Manager (SM)

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi Imesh,

Thanks a lot for the input. I agree.

I will be sending an updated version of the relational DB design along with
the ER diagram to the thread ASAP. Will address the issues you pointed out
there and some other issues I discovered with the help of Nirmal.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
I have attached the modified DB schema [1] along with the ER diagram [2].
Please note that this design doesn't include the aspect of cartridge
instance grouping/connecting. We should do some research on the CAMP spec
[3] for supporting this grouping aspect.

[1].

[image: Inline image 1]

[2].
[image: Inline image 3]

[3]. https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/47278/CAMP-v1.0.pdf

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.

Posted by Prabath Abeysekara <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Prabath

Re: Re-Designing the Database Schema for Stratos Manager (SM)

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Isuru,

Posted by Isuru Perera <is...@wso2.com>.
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Isuru Perera <is...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you please elaborate more on the entities. We had previously stored
>> the Cartridge instance state in the database and now I do not see it here.
>> Refer slide 14 at [1] for the database schema of Apache Stratos
>> (incubating) version 3.0.0. How are we going to maintain cartridge instance
>> status?
>>
>> We also had a Cartridge Subscription entity, which stored the
>> subscription details and Cartridge instance entity actually stored the
>> details of running cartridge instances.
>>
>> This new schema has lot of changes and therefore I think it's better to
>> include details of every design decision.
>>

> Exactly, I also felt there're gaps. I met IsuruH and had a chat. He will
> send a revised version.

That's great!

Thanks!

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Isuru Perera <is...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you please elaborate more on the entities. We had previously stored
> the Cartridge instance state in the database and now I do not see it here.
> Refer slide 14 at [1] for the database schema of Apache Stratos
> (incubating) version 3.0.0. How are we going to maintain cartridge instance
> status?
>
> We also had a Cartridge Subscription entity, which stored the subscription
> details and Cartridge instance entity actually stored the details of
> running cartridge instances.
>
> This new schema has lot of changes and therefore I think it's better to
> include details of every design decision.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]
> http://www.slideshare.net/chrishantha/apache-stratos-incubating-hangout-iv-stratos-controller-and-cli-internals

Thanks for the feedback. We had a quick chat and a review on this diagram
and identified some issues. Will send an updated diagram asap.

For the new design, SM can subscribe to the MB and receive state changes.
That is the logic of not persisting the state in the database. However we
might need to persist it because if SM re-starts, it would need to get the
last statuses of the instances.

Posted by Isuru Perera <is...@wso2.com>.
Hi,