Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by David Grünbaum <dv...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/18 12:29:05 UTC

defining the "Work" in the Apache Contributor License Agreement

Hi,

I have tried to find a definition of how to interpret the "Work" in the Apache Contributor License Agreement.
How does the Apache Foundation interpret this definition?
Is it the full projects, or a specific Git, or a specific file, or something else?

/David

_______________________________________
David Grünbaum
M.Sc student Intellectual Property Law
School of Intellectual Capital Management
University of Gothenburg, Chalmers University of Technology

Re: defining the "Work" in the Apache Contributor License Agreement

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
I think a "Work" is generally an Apache product, something that's
released by a project.

This FAQ implies that a work is, "a body of software being developed by
the ASF that the ASF intends to both alter and to publish as a separate
line of releases".

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#PatentScope

Doug

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On May 18, 2011, at 3:29 AM, David Grünbaum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to find a definition of how to interpret the "Work" in the Apache Contributor License Agreement.
> How does the Apache Foundation interpret this definition?
> Is it the full projects, or a specific Git, or a specific file, or something else?

It is defined in the license itself.

      "Work" shall mean the work of authorship, whether in Source or
      Object form, made available under the License, as indicated by a
      copyright notice that is included in or attached to the work
      (an example is provided in the Appendix below).

and it includes everything that is so licensed.  Note that there are
no permissions assumed without a license, so if the notice is not in
every file then people are expected to find it in some obvious place
(like a LICENSE or README file that describes an entire directory tree).

....Roy