Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2005/10/24 19:30:25 UTC

lucene and databases

Thanks to Yonik for replying to my last question about queries and filters.

Now I have another issue. I would appreciate any pointers to attempts to
integrate Lucene with databases. There's a tantalizing reference to a
class called JDBCDirectory mentioned at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LatestNews. However, my browser
times out trying to access the follow-up link
http://ppinew.mnis.com/jdbcdirectory. An email thread
(http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg01036.html)
makes me hope that this class helps an application index a body of
documents stored in a relational database. But this class, perhaps a
cousin of FSDirectory and RAMDirectory, doesn't seem to be part of
Lucene proper.

In any event, I would appreciate pointers to people's experience
integrating Lucene with relational databases. I realize this is a very
broad question. It sweeps up topics like the following:

o Indexing content that is stored in a dbms

o Wrapping filters around the results of sql queries

o Integrating Lucene query syntax with sql query syntax

o Practical tips about when to expose information as a Lucene field vs.
when to expose that  information as a column in a relational table

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: lucene and databases

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Chris. I have a couple follow-on questions:

1) Thanks for the pointer to DBSight.net. It seems that DBSight has
built some integration support for MySQL. Do you know if there are any
plans to build integration support for Derby, the Apache open source
database (http://db.apache.org/derby/)?

2) I'm afraid I don't understand the reference to Compass. Can you point
me at an URL?

3) Thanks for clarifying what JDBCDirectory does. Is this a dead
technology? All of my attempts to access the JDBCDirectory url timeout.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: lucene and databases

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and databases

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and databases

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Steven. This is an interesting approach which looks like it gets
the user up and running pretty fast.

Cheers,
-Rick

Re: lucene and databases