Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Andrew Thornton <an...@caret.cam.ac.uk> on 2005/03/11 17:18:14 UTC

TabChangeListener / TabChangeListenerTag

Is there any reason why the TabChangeListenerTag doesn't accept
value-bindings to a listener and if so why?

I would like my application to be informed of changes to the tabs and I
don't want to have to use FacesContext to get to the obvious dependencies.

thanks,
andy

--
Andrew Thornton
andrew@caret.cam.ac.uk / andrew@cbcl.co.uk

Re: TabChangeListener / TabChangeListenerTag

Posted by Andrew Thornton <an...@caret.cam.ac.uk>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Sorry I am not very familar with TabChangeListener.  This type of
> question is really more appropriate for the myfaces-user list.  The
> developers watch that one too and one of our user's might be able to
> help you as well.

Having looked at this again, I've come to the conclusion that there is a
problem with the TabChangeListenerTag. I don't think that the current
implementation is at all useful. I think that instead of being given a
classname to instantiate, it would far more useful if you could feed it
a valueBinding to a listener.

Once you evaluate the binding to find a listener, there are a couple of
problems with the naive approach of attaching it. However if you simply
attach a listener which on process* re-evaluates the binding it should
work.

I am not sure that I have completely thought out this problem though. So
any thoughts?

Thanks,
andy

(I attach a patch to that shows this behaviour. I've changed the
attribute of the TabChangeListenerTag to value. Unfortunately I don't
know how to create a context patch that will create a file, so add
ValueBindingTabChangeListener to the same directory as the tag.)

--
Andrew Thornton
andrew@caret.cam.ac.uk

Re: TabChangeListener / TabChangeListenerTag

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Sorry I am not very familar with TabChangeListener.  This type of
question is really more appropriate for the myfaces-user list.  The
developers watch that one too and one of our user's might be able to
help you as well.

sean