Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/04/20 19:15:45 UTC

[site] jakarta-maven.css trouble

Stephen (and all),

We have been having some problems with the HttpComponents site [1],
which is rendered incorrectly in IE (and apparently IE only) when the
jakarta-maven.css style-sheet is being used.  The left-hand menu does
not display anything unless I run the mouse pointer over it. With the
style-sheet removed the site gets rendered correctly and consistently in
IE and Mozilla based browsers.

I have to confess I have only a very basic knowledge of the cascading
style sheets and simply have no idea what a cause of this problem may
be. I _believe_ you have originally authored this style-sheet. Do you
happen to have any idea?

Oleg

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/index.html

Re: [site] jakarta-maven.css trouble

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> I've fixed a bug in the commons css file which I think fixes this
> problem for commons. However, the httpcomponents site still seems broken :-(
>
> Can anyone else confirm that commons left menus now appear correctly on
> IE for commons?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/index.html
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/index.html

<snip/>

Unfortunately, I still see the old results for the particular
browser/OS configuration below (I did the svn up for /www/j.a.o BTW).
Had a colleague open up jakarta-maven.css in VS.NET, complains:

'max-height' is not a known CSS property name

Then googling, "IE CSS max-height" (without the quotes ofcourse)
yields many confirmations that this won't work in IE, for example long
posts such as this one:

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

Ofcourse, I very much appreciate the time you've taken to get us off
of the commons-build dependency for site building. I don't have cycles
to dig deeper ATM, but maybe I'll revisit this in a week or two if no
one else beats me to it, since it seems the menus will remain broken
for a sizeable percentage of site visitors until we work around this.

-Rahul

> Stephen
>

> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
<snip/>

> > Here's what I see for [collections] and [io], for example:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/css-ie/
> >
> > IE 6.0 Win XP SP2. Looks just fine on DeerPark / Opera / Moz / FF.
> >
> > -Rahul

<snap/>

Re: [site] jakarta-maven.css trouble

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/20/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stephen (and all),
>
> We have been having some problems with the HttpComponents site [1],
> which is rendered incorrectly in IE (and apparently IE only) when the
> jakarta-maven.css style-sheet is being used.  The left-hand menu does
> not display anything unless I run the mouse pointer over it. With the
> style-sheet removed the site gets rendered correctly and consistently in
> IE and Mozilla based browsers.
>
> I have to confess I have only a very basic knowledge of the cascading
> style sheets and simply have no idea what a cause of this problem may
> be. I _believe_ you have originally authored this style-sheet. Do you
> happen to have any idea?

<snip/>

I did notice the same behavior when I decided to move [scxml] to the
new site scheme, and then got distracted (and didn't complete the
move, thought I'd botched something in my setup -- still using old
scheme).