Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Randy Xu <r...@post.harvard.edu> on 2005/01/18 21:21:42 UTC

3 Questions, Part 1

Anyone have any suggestions/best practices for the follow issues?

1) post/preGoals: I have rmic and post-process in a postGoal to
java:compile.  rmic is smart enough only to update classes that have
been recompiled but post-process always runs.  Is there a simple way of
making sure that if java:compile does nothing then none of the postGoals
are run?  This won't buy me that much in this case since even if 1 class
changes the post-processor will run through everything.  But there may
be other people/cases where it would be useful to not have the postGoal
run if main goal does nothing.

2) SNAPSHOTs:  Can someone describe to me Maven behavior step-by-step
when SNAPSHOT is used and how this differs from not usign SNAPSHOT.  Or
let me know where in the code this is?  When developing my multiproject,
I use SNAPSHOT.  So say I change some classes in one subproject (in a
way that affect dependenct subprojects) and run jar:install.  Since I
overwrite the file in the local respository with 'install', does it
matter whether I use SNAPSHOT or not?  My impression is that Maven uses
the jar in the local repository for the classpath so doesn't putting in
a new file do the job?  Or should I run install-snapshot?  What's the
difference? (install-snapshot installs an artifact appended with the
date/time but it seems my other subprojects still look for
artifact-SNAPSHOT.jar, not the one with the date/time)

What would the consequences be of not using SNAPSHOT?  Would that just
require the developer to do more work (ie install a subproject's jar
when they change)?  OR - do I have to use SNAPSHOT because Maven doesn't
even go to the respository when the filename hasn't changed even if the
file has.

3) Downloading artifacts:  I have two remote repostitories set.  How do
I disable the warning that appears if the first site doesn't contain the
file?  Or can you let me know where in the code is this?

Thanks again.

BTW, the MIT puzzle hunt this weekend was crazy fun.  First time
participant: http://www.normalville.org/setec

-Randy
http://www.harvardsketch.com/randall/