Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> on 2002/12/16 20:58:44 UTC

problems building SVN (and http2.0)

Folks,
	I'm trying to get the subversion server built on my linux
server.  I'm trying to follow the INSTALL document directions as closely
as possible, but I'm hitting a brick wall in trying to get http2.0
compiled.  I know that is not strictly part of subversion, but I can
build apache2 if I let it pick its own db implementation.

	Here are the details.

The machine is running debian testing, up to date as of a couple of days
ago.  I've installed the libdb4.0-dev package (and I've also tried
building my own and installing it in /usr/local/Berkeley4.0, with the
same results).

The configure line is:

./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --with-dbm=db4

The error I get is:

APR-util Version: 0.9.2
checking for chosen layout... apr-util
Applying apr-util hints file rules for i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for APR... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
checking for ldap support...checking for gdbm.h... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking for db.h... yes
checking for db_create in -ldb... no
checking for db3/db.h... no
checking for db.h... (cached) yes
checking for db_create in -ldb... (cached) no
checking for db2/db.h... no
checking for db.h... (cached) yes
checking for db_open in -ldb... no
checking for db1/db.h... no
checking for db.h... (cached) yes
checking for dbopen in -lc... no
checking for dbopen in -ldb1... yes
checking for Berkeley DB... found db1
checking for db4/db.h... (cached) no
checking for db.h... (cached) yes
checking for db_create in -ldb... (cached) no
configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
configure failed for srclib/apr-util

Thanks for any help.

-Seth
--
it is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Re: problems building SVN (and http2.0)

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 03:08:18PM -0600, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> writes:
>
> > 	According to the config line, it looks like it is finding the
> > library and header files, but the function it is looking for
> > (db_create()) isn't there.
>
> Have you tried running ldconfig (as root)?

Yes.

(trying again for sanity's sake)

No luck.

The symlink looks sane.

unicorn:~/PROJECTS/svn/httpd-2.0> ls -al /usr/lib/libdb.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Dec 16 15:47
/usr/lib/libdb.so -> libdb-4.0.so

unicorn:~/PROJECTS/svn/httpd-2.0> ls -al /usr/lib/libdb-4.0.so
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       608708 Apr 23  2002
/usr/lib/libdb-4.0.so

-Seth

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu> writes:

> 	Hmm, I did build my own BDB 4, and placed it in
> /usr/local/BerkeleyDB4.0.  I set the --with-berkeley-db flag and tried
> putting it in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and putting it in ld.so.conf.  Neither
> of which fixed the problem. :(

Works for me.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH will need a trailing /lib, so you need
to use /usr/local/BerkeleyDB4.0/lib.

> 	Is it possible that when I built BDB, it implicitly set the
> uniquename option?

Unlikely.

>  How would I check that?

Compare

$ nm /usr/local/BerkeleyDB4.0/lib/libdb-4.0.a | grep 'T db_create'
$ nm /usr/lib/libdb-4.0.a | grep 'T db_create'

You want to see 'T db_create', which will work, and not 'T db_create_4000'.

--
Philip Martin

Re: problems building SVN (and http2.0)

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.
> > 	Currently, I'm using the debian package, so everything is
> > installed with the /usr prefix.
> >
> > 	According to the config line, it looks like it is finding the
> > library and header files, but the function it is looking for
> > (db_create()) isn't there.
>
> Ah, I remember this problem.  apr-util looks for BDB's db_create using
> this autoconf test program
>
> char db_create();
>
> int main() {
> db_create()
> ; return 0; }
>
> but Debian builds BDB using symbols with a suffix (configured with the
> --with-uniquename option I think) and so the test program won't work
> unless it includes the db.h header file.
>
> I've been meaning to report this to the apr list, but I never got
> round to it.
>
> If you build your own version of BDB it should work, you may need to
> add /usr/local/db4/lib (or whatever you called it) to your
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

	Hmm, I did build my own BDB 4, and placed it in
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB4.0.  I set the --with-berkeley-db flag and tried
putting it in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and putting it in ld.so.conf.  Neither
of which fixed the problem. :(

	Is it possible that when I built BDB, it implicitly set the
uniquename option?  How would I check that?

-Seth

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.

> >>you might need a --with-berkeley-db= line in there to tell it where your
> >>berkeley db headers and libs are, if they aren't in an obvious place.
> >
> >	I've tried that.
> >
> >	When I had my own copy of BerkeleyDB 4 installed in
> >/usr/local/Berkeley4.0, I give it an appropriate --with-berkeley-db
> >line, and got the same set of errors.
> >
> >	Currently, I'm using the debian package, so everything is
> >installed with the /usr prefix.
> >
> >	According to the config line, it looks like it is finding the
> >library and header files, but the function it is looking for
> >(db_create()) isn't there.
>
> nope, it's finding the headers fine, but not the library (all the -ldb
> lines are no).

	Hmm.

	I tried:

./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --prefix=/usr/local/apache2
--with-dbm=db4 --with-berkeley-db=/usr

	And got the same error.

	Is there a different configure line I should be using, by
chance?

	If I run:

./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --with-dbm=db

	It will successfully configure, but not if I run --with-dbm=db4

	However, it will not build.  I editted build/config_vars.mk to
include -ldb as well as -ldb1, which let apache2 build.  I'm not sure if
that'll be sane enough for svn, though.

-Seth

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Seth Landsman wrote:

>>>	I'm trying to get the subversion server built on my linux
>>>server.  I'm trying to follow the INSTALL document directions as closely
>>>as possible, but I'm hitting a brick wall in trying to get http2.0
>>>compiled.  I know that is not strictly part of subversion, but I can
>>>build apache2 if I let it pick its own db implementation.
>>>
>>>	Here are the details.
>>>
>>>The machine is running debian testing, up to date as of a couple of days
>>>ago.  I've installed the libdb4.0-dev package (and I've also tried
>>>building my own and installing it in /usr/local/Berkeley4.0, with the
>>>same results).
>>>
>>>The configure line is:
>>>
>>>./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --prefix=/usr/local/apache2
>>>--with-dbm=db4
>>>

>>you might need a --with-berkeley-db= line in there to tell it where your
>>berkeley db headers and libs are, if they aren't in an obvious place.
>>

>	I've tried that.
>
>	When I had my own copy of BerkeleyDB 4 installed in
>/usr/local/Berkeley4.0, I give it an appropriate --with-berkeley-db
>line, and got the same set of errors.
>
>	Currently, I'm using the debian package, so everything is
>installed with the /usr prefix.
>
>	According to the config line, it looks like it is finding the
>library and header files, but the function it is looking for
>(db_create()) isn't there.

nope, it's finding the headers fine, but not the library (all the -ldb
lines are no).

-garrett

Re: problems building SVN (and http2.0)

Posted by Seth Landsman <se...@boondock.cs.brandeis.edu>.