Posted to users@flex.apache.org by SmileySnr <li...@dit.ie> on 2014/04/03 15:20:34 UTC

Filter a dropdown list

Environment: FlashBuilder 4.6, Wamp 2.4 with Zend Framework.

mySql

7 base tables

lecturers

students

modules

ulms

studentprogress

studentmodules

modulecontents

I want to setup filtering across a number of the tables ... just one example
is explained below;

ModulesContents is a table which shows which ULMs are in which Module

I use dropdownlists when  adding data to this table ...

dropdownlist 1 (to list all the modules currently in the DB)

dropdownlist 2 (to list all the ulms in the DB) and finally

dropdownlist 3 (to list all the lecturers in the DB)

These all work to a fashion. They all indeed return lists of all the
elements in the database.

Lets look at some data

Modules Table

Module1,Module2,Module3,...

Ulms Table

Ulm1, Ulm2,Ulm3,Ulm4,Ulm5,Ulm6,...

Each module can contain upto 8 ULMs (Units of Learning Material).

A sample ModuleContents table might look like

Module 1 Ulm1

Module 1 Ulm2

Module 1 Ulm3

Each time I click the dropdown menu for Ulms with Module1 selected, I see
the full list of Ulms.

Ulm1, Ulm2,Ulm3,Ulm4,Ulm5,Ulm6,...

What I would like to see is a filtered list based on what is NOT in the
module already

ie in this case ...

Ulm4,Ulm5,Ulm6,...

Any idea How I could do this?

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Filter a dropdown list

Posted by SmileySnr <li...@dit.ie>.
Im struggling to find how to attach the property filterfunction to one of the
objects in my code.
The best place to attach the property would be, I think when the selection
is made

The dropdownlist creation and selection are shown below

eg

		public function dropDownList_Mn_create(event:FlexEvent):void
		{

			ddl_ModuleNamesResult.token  =
modulesnamesService.getAllModules_names();

		}

		public function dropDownList_Mn_change(event:IndexChangeEvent):void
		{
			moduleID = dropDownList_moduleid.selectedItem.module_id;

			if (moduleID > 0) {
				dropDownList_ulmid.enabled = true;
			}
		}

I dont know how or where to apply the filterfunction property,

can you advise.

Re: Filter a dropdown list

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 03/04/14 15:21, SmileySnr wrote:
> That sounds like what I need.
>
> Can you point me at any examples to get me started?

I'd always start at the docs :
http://flex.apache.org/asdoc/mx/collections/ListCollectionView.html#filterFunction

There's plenty of older but still valid examples lying around in Google too.

Tom

Re: Filter a dropdown list

Posted by SmileySnr <li...@dit.ie>.
That sounds like what I need.

Can you point me at any examples to get me started?

Thanks

Re: Filter a dropdown list

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 03/04/14 14:20, SmileySnr wrote:
> What I would like to see is a filtered list based on what is NOT in the
> module already
>
> ie in this case ...
>
> Ulm4,Ulm5,Ulm6,...
I'd assign a filterFunction to the drop down's dataProvider.

Tom