Posted to dev@kyuubi.apache.org by Cheng Pan <ch...@apache.org> on 2021/09/20 05:15:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Change Kyuubi website git repo default branch to master

Hi,

I propose to change the Kyuubi website git repo[1] default branch from
asf-site to master.

The asf-site branch is used to publish the final website. Currently, if we
want to update
website, we need to
1) update the source files
2) run `hugo` to compile the source files to static pages
3) push both source files and compiled static pages under `/content` to the
remote asf-site branch

Which is not friendly to developers, and the compiled static pages may be
different by
using different versions of hugo. Thus, I create a new branch master to
only track the
source files[2][3], and run `hugo` in GitHub Action when the master branch
changed[4].

I think we should keep the default branch as a source files one rather than
complied files, that's why I propose this change.

Gavin McDonald points[5] that
> Github has changed the default to 'main' rather than 'master' these days.
> It is recommended but not compulsory to do so.

Personally, I prefer using 'master' as the default branch, because we use
'master' as
the default branch everywhere in past.

And I'd like to hear what other people think.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/d53cf338
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/10283922
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/46212f77

Cheng Pan

Re: [DISCUSS] Change Kyuubi website git repo default branch to master

Posted by Fu Chen <cf...@gmail.com>.
+1 for master

Posted by wangsheng <22...@qq.com.INVALID>.
Yeah, I vote +1 for master

Posted by Cheng Pan <ch...@apache.org>.
We have 2 options,

Posted by wangsheng <22...@qq.com.INVALID>.
+1, thanks

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Best,
Vino

Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com> 于2021年9月20日周一 下午1:29写道:

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1for main as the default branch Kent Yao  @ Data Science Center, Hangzhou Research Institute, NetEase Corp. a spark enthusiast kyuubiis a unified multi-tenant JDBC interface for large-scale data processing and analytics, built on top of Apache Spark. spark-authorizerA Spark SQL extension which provides SQL Standard Authorization for Apache Spark. spark-postgres A library for reading data from and transferring data to Postgres / Greenplum with Spark SQL and DataFrames, 10~100x faster. itatchiA library that brings useful functions from various modern database management systems to​ Apache Spark. 发自 网易邮箱大师 ---- 回复的原邮件 ---- 发件人 Cheng Pan<ch...@apache.org> 日期 2021年09月20日 13:15 收件人 dev@kyuubi.apache.org<de...@kyuubi.apache.org> 抄送至 主题 [DISCUSS] Change Kyuubi website git repo default branch to master Hi, I propose to change the Kyuubi website git repo[1] default branch from asf-site to master. The asf-site branch is used to publish the final website. Currently, if we want to update website, we need to 1) update the source files 2) run `hugo` to compile the source files to static pages 3) push both source files and compiled static pages under `/content` to the remote asf-site branch Which is not friendly to developers, and the compiled static pages may be different by using different versions of hugo. Thus, I create a new branch master to only track the source files[2][3], and run `hugo` in GitHub Action when the master branch changed[4]. I think we should keep the default branch as a source files one rather than complied files, that's why I propose this change. Gavin McDonald points[5] that > Github has changed the default to 'main' rather than 'master' these days. > It is recommended but not compulsory to do so. Personally, I prefer using 'master' as the default branch, because we use 'master' as the default branch everywhere in past. And I'd like to hear what other people think. [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website [2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/d53cf338 [3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/10283922 [4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-kyuubi-website/commit/46212f77 [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-22340 Thanks, Cheng Pan

Re: [DISCUSS] Change Kyuubi website git repo default branch to master

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
+1 for changing to main or master. I don't have a strong opinion about the
branch name.

-Akira