Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no> on 2010/07/08 13:43:29 UTC

negative response times again

Hi,
I got negative latency values in my last load test of a web service. I
searched the web and found that this might have something to do with the jdk
I use? I wonder what the problem is or how to ensure that I get correct
latency in future tests? I am not allowed to use Wireshark or similar to
check transmission times. The load during the tests was quite low (350
requests/minute) and none of the machines involved in the test struggled. I
used 2 thread groups with one Constant Throughput Timer each, all samplers
are SOAP/XML-RPC Requests. I use csv format for logging.
I tried to re-run the test using different jdks and got results that
differed, but had negative and 0 latency in each of the tests.
I used JMeter 2.3.4 r785646
and tried with the following
-Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_16-b02, mixed mode)
-BEA JRockit(R) (build
R26.4.0-63_CR302700-72606-1.5.0_06-20061127-1104-linux-ia32
-Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
on a machine with CentOS release 4.7 and got negative and 0 latency for all.

I tried on a different machine using BEA WebLogic JRockit(TM) 1.4.2_08 JVM
R24.5.0-61 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2): here
I only had 0 load time (the last value) for some requests, but no negative
or 0 latency. But I am unsure if this means the latency is correct this
time?

I might be overlooking something obvious here, so I would be thankful for
hints regarding this problem.

Regards,
Monique

Re: negative response times again

Posted by monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no>.
Hi,
the total amount of negative response times is low, only 3-5 with negative
latency in 40000 responses per test run. The range of the negative values is
from -1163 to -7285 ms. In other tests (same environment) the min. response
times for those operations are about 50 - 200 ms.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey Monique

0 Latency is fine on the same subnet considering your accuracy level
is 100 ms. Can you post how much negative latency were you getting?

Thanks
Deepak

On 7/9/10, monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Hi,
> 1. I am not able to get that information since we only get to lend servers
> for testing per project and have little control over the environment. The
> machines are on the same subnet.
> 2. I think it is milliseconds (if I got your question right).
> 3. I ran a shorter test with the result tree listener and it looked ok. The
> in the log:
> 2010/07/07 20:10:49.0189,16,Completion,200,Main scenario 1-3,text,true,0,0
> 2010/07/07 20:10:49.0282,64,getStatus,200,Main scenario
> 1-15,text,true,1703,64
> 2010/07/07 20:10:49.0372,-4507,getStatus,200,Main scenario
> 1-12,text,true,1703,-4507
>
> Thank you,
> Monique

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

   --
Keigu

Deepak
+91-9765089593
deicool@gmail.com

Skype: thumsupdeicool
Google talk: deicool
Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

Check out my Work at:
LinkedIn: http://in.linkedin.com/in/thumsupdeicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org"

Re: negative response times again

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Some thoughts:

1. Can you please post the whole network and server diagram?
2. What is your precision level for measuring latency?
3. It could be possible you might be getting all errors. It would help
if you could post the results also.

Thanks
Deepak

On 7/8/10, monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Hi,
> I got negative latency values in my last load test of a web service. I
> searched the web and found that this might have something to do with the jdk
> I use? I wonder what the problem is or how to ensure that I get correct
> latency in future tests? I am not allowed to use Wireshark or similar to
> check transmission times. The load during the tests was quite low (350
> requests/minute) and none of the machines involved in the test struggled. I
> used 2 thread groups with one Constant Throughput Timer each, all samplers
> are SOAP/XML-RPC Requests. I use csv format for logging.
> I tried to re-run the test using different jdks and got results that
> differed, but had negative and 0 latency in each of the tests.
> I used JMeter 2.3.4 r785646
> and tried with the following
> -Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_16-b02, mixed mode)
> -BEA JRockit(R) (build
> R26.4.0-63_CR302700-72606-1.5.0_06-20061127-1104-linux-ia32
> -Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
> on a machine with CentOS release 4.7 and got negative and 0 latency for all.
>
> I tried on a different machine using BEA WebLogic JRockit(TM) 1.4.2_08 JVM
> R24.5.0-61 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2): here
> I only had 0 load time (the last value) for some requests, but no negative
> or 0 latency. But I am unsure if this means the latency is correct this
> time?
>
> I might be overlooking something obvious here, so I would be thankful for
> hints regarding this problem.
>
> Regards,
> Monique

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

Posted by monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no>.
Hi,
yes the one I'm having problems with is a virtual machine, I run one JMeter
instance on it for load generation.

Posted by chaitanya bhatt <bh...@gmail.com>.
Are you by any possibility using Virtual Machines for load injection?

-Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 July 2010 12:43, monpru <pr...@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

> Hi,
> I got negative latency values in my last load test of a web service. I
> searched the web and found that this might have something to do with the jdk
> I use? I wonder what the problem is or how to ensure that I get correct
> latency in future tests? I am not allowed to use Wireshark or similar to
> check transmission times. The load during the tests was quite low (350
> requests/minute) and none of the machines involved in the test struggled. I
> used 2 thread groups with one Constant Throughput Timer each, all samplers
> are SOAP/XML-RPC Requests. I use csv format for logging.
> I tried to re-run the test using different jdks and got results that
> differed, but had negative and 0 latency in each of the tests.
> I used JMeter 2.3.4 r785646
> and tried with the following
> -Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_16-b02, mixed mode)
> -BEA JRockit(R) (build
> R26.4.0-63_CR302700-72606-1.5.0_06-20061127-1104-linux-ia32
> -Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
> on a machine with CentOS release 4.7 and got negative and 0 latency for all.
>
> I tried on a different machine using BEA WebLogic JRockit(TM) 1.4.2_08 JVM
> R24.5.0-61 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2): here
> I only had 0 load time (the last value) for some requests, but no negative
> or 0 latency. But I am unsure if this means the latency is correct this
> time?

Latency of 0 is to be expected sometimes, due to timer resolution.

Also not all samplers support latency, in which case the value will
always be zero.