Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/22 18:10:43 UTC

The state of WYSIWYG editing for JSPWiki

Hi,

what is the state of WYSIWYG editing for JSPWiki?

I tried http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/HowToManuallyIntegrateFCKEditor
but this doesn't seem to work any more with 2.8.3 (the option to change the
editor is simple not there).
Also, there is a newer version of this editor.

Has anybody tried with a standalone editor? I wonder if one could adapt
OpenOffice Writer (or even MS Word) to produce some clean XHTML/XML which
one would transform into Wiki pages. (FCKEditor does this, doesn't it?)
Or has somebody had succes with Eclipse WTP + it's html editor?

It would be really nice if one could Eclipse/ OO Writer File -> Open
Wikipage and get the file with some RPC mechanism (or WEBDAV?) and have it
in the WYSIWYG editor.

The Ekit Applet also looks interesting: http://www.hexidec.com/ekitdemo.php

Thanks for any opinions,
Juergen

Re: The state of WYSIWYG editing for JSPWiki

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
just for your reference, there is a JIRA issue that should gather all
discussions on WYSIWYG editing :

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-450

regards,
Harry

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I got it working now. Problem was, I use Geronimo and had JSPWiki deployed
inplace. Looks like Geronimo does not pick up new jars in --inPlace deployed
apps (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4998), so FCK.jar would
not be know.

Thanks,

Posted by "lgilardoni61@gmail.com" <lg...@gmail.com>.
Juergen,
  cannot remember exactly how - but I have it working following that
page instructions with 2.8.2.x (and I believe in 2.8.3 nothing changed
in this respect)

As for the 'paste from word', FCK allows to cut&paste from word and any
other rich editor (not tried bit should work with OO). However, please
take into
account that:
- a number of features are not exported/handled neatly. Expecially if
you have complex tables, this is likely to mess your wiki
- also most formatting parts are converted to html/%% markup in wiki ...
and the results is not that nice.
After some test we decided to provide a very small FCK toolbar with very
few formatting commands (basically what could be transformed painlessly in
standard wiki markup) and to disable C&P from word (FCK has an option to
convert to plain text while pasting, and to leave full menu to expert
people only
who knows what to do if something get messes (read: edit the result
with  emacs or alike to clean the mess).

The problem is not in writing to wiki vs doing cut&paste, but in doping
a decent cleanup of markup ... any other experience report appreciated.

Luca