Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/03/28 22:00:59 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3

Hi everyone,
This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3. This is
the next major release of Phoenix compatible with the 0.98 branch of Apache
HBase (0.98.1+) and will be our third release in the incubator. The
previous RC was sunk due to some errors in the NOTICE and LICENSE files and
a potential connection leak bug. This new RC fixes those issues. The
release includes both a source-only release and a convenience binary
release.

The 4.0.0 release has feature parity with our pending 3.0.0 release. New
features include:
- Equi-joins through broadcast hash join
- Shared tables over same physical HBase table
- Read-only and updatable views
- Multi-tenancy
- JDBC ARRAY type
- Sequence creation and usage

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-4.0.0-incubating-rc3/src/

The binary artifacts can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-4.0.0-incubating-rc3/bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mujtaba.asc

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/phoenix/KEYS

The hash and tag to be voted on:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=commit;h=4d90a49dd375da984a9db195d517ef26166745f0
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.0.0-incubating-rc3

For information about the contents of this release see:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/v4.0.0-incubating-rc3

Vote will be open for at least 72 hours. Please vote:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks,
The Apache Phoenix Team

RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3

Posted by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com>.
Sorry bit late to the vote.  I think it got closed. :)

Posted by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com>.
+1
Compiled the src package.
Checked the signature.
Ran tests - all passed.

Regards
Ram

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
bq. Doing a select * from SYSTEM.CATALOG returned rows from SYSTEM.SEQUENCE?

The SYSTEM.CATALOG is our table that tracks all tables and their columns.
Under-the-covers, it's what gets used by the DatabaseMetaData APIs to allow
you to introspect you metadata. You're seeing the SYSTEM.SEQUENCE listed
there, as it's just another table (just like SYSTEM.CATALOG).

Thanks,
James

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Yes, that's correct. Prior to HBase 0.98.1 being released, please follow
these instructions to build HBase 0.98.1 to ensure it's available in your
local maven repo before building Phoenix 4.0:

    $ svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hbase/tags/0.98.1RC3/
    $ dev-support/generate-hadoopX-poms.sh 0.98.1 0.98.1-hadoop1
    $ mvn -f pom.xml.hadoop1 install -DskipTests

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Dan Di Spaltro

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Posted by Simon Töns <si...@gmail.com>.
+1

Simon

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@apache.org>.
+1

Steven.

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Checked NOTICE and LICENSE files for both binary and source releases
Built from scratch and ran all unit tests successfully
Successfully ran performance script over 10M rows with 0.98.1 RC3

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the vote, Gabriel. We removed the special instructions because
the vote for HBase 0.98.1 was scheduled to close today. Once HBase 0.98.1
is release, you'll need no special instructions and I didn't want to
confuse folks down the road who would think these special instructions are
still required. Of course, Murphy's Law kicked in and an issue was found
which delayed the vote's closing until April 6th.  But that should still be
fine, as we won't publish our 4.0 release until 0.98.1 is release.

Posted by Maryann Xue <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Maryann

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 to release (non-binding)
>
> * Verified the checksums and signatures on both the binary and source
> releases
> * Ran rat successfully on the source distribution
> * Verified contents of source distribution compared to git tag
> * Ran full unittest and integration test suites successfully
>
> One note: I didn't find any information on the instructions to build
> against the not-yet-released hbase-0.98.1 RC, so I followed the
> directions from the previous RC, and built against 0.98.1 RC3. I'm not
> sure if this omission from the BUILDING file was intentional or I
> overlooked it elsewhere, but I just wanted to mention it.
>

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM, James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3. This is
> > the next major release of Phoenix compatible with the 0.98 branch of
> Apache
> > HBase (0.98.1+) and will be our third release in the incubator. The
> > previous RC was sunk due to some errors in the NOTICE and LICENSE files
> and
> > a potential connection leak bug. This new RC fixes those issues. The
> > release includes both a source-only release and a convenience binary
> > release.
> >
> > The 4.0.0 release has feature parity with our pending 3.0.0 release. New
> > features include:
> > - Equi-joins through broadcast hash join
> > - Shared tables over same physical HBase table
> > - Read-only and updatable views
> > - Multi-tenancy
> > - JDBC ARRAY type
> > - Sequence creation and usage
> >
> > The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
> >
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-4.0.0-incubating-rc3/src/
> >
> > The binary artifacts can be found at:
> >
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-4.0.0-incubating-rc3/bin/
> >
> > Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
> > https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mujtaba.asc
> >
> > KEYS file available here:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/phoenix/KEYS
> >
> > The hash and tag to be voted on:
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=commit;h=4d90a49dd375da984a9db195d517ef26166745f0
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v4.0.0-incubating-rc3
> >
> > For information about the contents of this release see:
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/v4.0.0-incubating-rc3
> >
> > Vote will be open for at least 72 hours. Please vote:
> >
> > [ ] +1 approve
> > [ ] +0 no opinion
> > [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > The Apache Phoenix Team

Maryann

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Phoenix 4.0.0 incubating RC3

Posted by Mujtaba Chohan <mu...@apache.org>.
Gabriel - Omission of  hbase-0.98.1 RC build instructions was intentional
since HBase 0.98.1 would be out of RC stage before we release.

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 to release (non-binding)

Posted by Jeffrey Zhong <jz...@hortonworks.com>.
+1.

I downloaded the 4.0 & hbase0.98.1RC2 tar balls and run the following
tests:

1) run sqlline.py fine
2) run ./psql.py localhost ../examples/WEB_STAT.sql
../examples/WEB_STAT.csv ../examples/WEB_STAT_QUERIES.sql can create
table, load data from the sample CSV file and query loaded data
3) run end2end IT tests against a pesudo & live hbase0.98.1 cluster(single
node) and all 1078 tests passed
4) run end2end IT tests against a live windows hbase0.98.1
cluster(multiple nodes) with the bits compiled by myself and has some
intermittent failures. I'll file related issues which should not block the
release though.

Thanks,
-Jeffrey

--