Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Ahten <pi...@pixelfreak.net> on 2003/05/30 18:12:12 UTC

RPM for Tomcat 4.1.24 and JDK 1.4

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install the "light" version of Tomcat 4.1.24 on Redhat
Linux 7.3 from the RPM on the Jakarta site, but It fails due to the
following dependencies.

java_parser_impl
xml-commons-apis
I have already installed the Java 1.4 JDK RPM from the Sun website....

J2sdk-1_4_1_02-fcs-linux-i586.rpm

Being new to Linux, I'm unsure where to find these additional packages
and have the following questions about RPMs in general.

01. When a dependency is listed, is it linked to a particular RPM file
or can any RPM that installs the same components work? I imagine
multiple RPMs can be used, since projects like Tomcat are split up into
multiple RPM files to allow updating individual components.

02. If so, how do I know which RPM file fulfills a particular
dependency, such as javap_parser_impl? I haven't had much success
searching for RPMs that have the characters javap_parser_impl in it's
name. Also, can a single RPM provide support for more than one
dependency?

Sites like http://www.jpackage.org/ and http://rpmfind.net list many
packages, but do not specify which dependency they resolve.

Thanks,

~Scott

Re: RPM for Tomcat 4.1.24 and JDK 1.4

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
For the ApacheConfig classes, that generate a file called mod_jk.conf that
can be included into Apache's httpd.conf so that httpd.conf doesn't have to
be modified manually.

One Listener for the server (like where the workers.properties file is
located, etc) and one Listener for each Host in server.xml.  In the default
Tomcat install, there is only one Host defined (localhost), so that means
one Listener for a total of two.

The ApacheConfig Listeners are optional...you don't need them.  It's just
that people starting out sometimes find it easier to get going.  You can
easily do all the configuration by hand.

John

Posted by "Vincent J. Buonassisi" <vj...@vuit.com>.
hi,

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
There was a thread a week or so ago all about the whole "LE vs. Full"
debate.  I don't understand all the ins and outs, but from what I gathered,
there's really no reason at all to download the LE version unless you know
exactly what you are doing, and have specific reasons for not needing the
components that the LE version is missing.  In general, everyone should be
fine with the full version, and other than the download time, there is no
difference from the perspective of most development.

So its the inverse of typical environments...usually you see things like
"download this version, and if you want the extra stuff download the big
version but the big version isn't required".  The JDK does this...you can
have all sorts of fun with J2SE, but J2EE has "extra" stuff that you don't
necessarily need.

Tomcat is the reverse...the LE version is the full version missing some key
components.  Most people need these key components, some people do not.  If
you're one of the people who doesn't, then you will know it...otherwise,
you're in the first group with the rest of us.  So download the full
version. :)

The latest version of the JDK works just fine with full version Tomcat
4.1.24.

John

Posted by Scott Ahten <pi...@pixelfreak.net>.
John,