Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/12 14:37:32 UTC

Migrating source code from GitHub

We now have a new empty repo for Apache Systeml that is also mirrored in
GitHub under the Apache Organization :

https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml

I am planning to start the migration process on the next couple days, which
means :

- current repository will go into read mode
- some folder cleanup/refactoring might be done to have all code from root
folder (instead of system-ml)
- code import into new apache systemml repository

Please let me know if you have questions and/or suggestions.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
Sorry I don't have any extra tips or recipes beyond what you can Google.

Posted by Christian R Kadner <ck...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Luciano,

those were experiments creating a new Git repo from the system-ml folder!
The new repo size of 33 MB I get when using either "git filter-branch
--subdirectory-filter ... system-ml" or "git subtree split ... system-ml"
to create a new repo from the system-ml folder. This approach also looses
all history pre-GitHub, so we are not doing that.

When using "git filter-branch --index-filter 'git ls-files -s |
sed ..." (example from Git book) to move up the system-ml folder contents
to repo root level, then the size of the repo remains at 200+ MB and it
keeps pre-GitHub history.

Best regards,
Christian Kadner

From:	Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
To:	"dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org"
            <de...@systemml.incubator.apache.org>
Date:	11/12/2015 02:04 PM
Subject:	Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Christian,

Could you please share what you were trying to flatten the folder structure
? I would not expect to have this large reduction in reponsize by setting
up system-ml as root of the repository and moving some of the current root
to inside the new root.

--
Sent from my Mobile device

Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Christian,

--
Sent from my Mobile device

Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Christian R Kadner <ck...@us.ibm.com>.

From:	Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	11/12/2015 11:32 AM
Subject:	Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my Mobile device

Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Niketan Pansare <np...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Luciano,

From:	Acs S <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
To:	"dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org"
            <de...@systemml.incubator.apache.org>
Date:	11/12/2015 08:28 AM
Subject:	Re: Migrating source code from GitHub

Posted by Acs S <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Can you pull PR #72 before proceeding with this?Its been ready since last week, apparently there were some Jenkins issues giving false errors yesterday or earlier, but seems like Alan could address them.
-Arvind
Great!  Let's leave the current repo open today and make a last call for any PRs the need to be made before the switch.  I for one have a PR that I plan to open today that I think will be much easier to review and merge before all the folder changes take place.

- Mike

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> wrote:

> If you are going to take pull requests as contributions, you should totally
> take this script from Spark for merging:
> https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/dev/merge_spark_pr.py
>
> It also keeps linearity in history.

+1, we were doing this manually in github, but now a script helps us scale.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.