Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Shilpa Kelkar <sk...@rosettastone.com> on 2004/11/06 16:09:42 UTC

Cocoon scalability

Hello

We have a website developed in cocoon 2.0 running on tomcat 5.0.27 on linux
server.
We are using jvm 1.4.2.
The website is few xml and xsls with 15 java code files. The database used
is mysql.
The website is database extensive and does a lot of queries to generate the
pages.

We can handle about 1000 concurrent users currently.
We need to scale the system almost 10 times the current.

Are there any suggestions on how to scale a cocoon based system?
Thanks
SK

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

also : http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/LoadBalancingWithModProxy

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by beyaNet <an...@jibeya.com>.
Hi chaps,
I think i would be a good idea for this topic to be filtered through to
the rest of the family so keep it on site, it concerns us all who are
building or maintaining websites using cocoon.

regards

Andrew

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by Aurélien DEHAY <ad...@zorel.org>.
Still no answer, but I will give a few guidelines (some of them so
obvious, but reminding is never a waste of time).

Aurélien DEHAY a dit::
> Hello.
>

> Le samedi 06 novembre 2004 à 10:09 -0500, Shilpa Kelkar a écrit :
>
>>Hello
>>
>>We have a website developed in cocoon 2.0 running on tomcat 5.0.27 on linux
>>server.
>>We are using jvm 1.4.2.
>

> Sun? Weblogic (Jrockit)? Intel architecture?

BEA's JVM is running only on Intel architecture (and only on Windows
ansd Linux). The very interesting feature of JRockIt is the possibility
to configure a auto-tune GC (JRockit is able to switch from, for
example, a parallel GC to a concurent GC for best perfs).

With 1.4.2, there is mainly 3 GC:
- historical (like <1.4.2), it run on a single CPU and freeze all the
running applications during garbage collection.
- parallel. It run on all the CPU of the server (benefits only when you
have a multi CPU server of course), but still freeze the application
- Concurrent: runs concurently on a separate thread (idealy on a multi
CPU server). Doesn't freeze the JVM

The choice of a GC is very difficult between the second and the third
option (the first is rarely a good choice. Except on a single CPU
server, on which the choice of the garbage collector is not really
important). The concurrent GC seems to be a good idea, but what happens
if you allocate more memory than the GC is able to free (here is the
benefit of the jrockit: it make the choice for you, because the reality
is much more complicated than that: parallel/concurrent mark,
parralel/concurrent sweep, generational memory management or fixed
single space.... The choice (and much more the tuning) of a GC is often
a real headache)?

>>The website is few xml and xsls with 15 java code files. The database used
>>is mysql.
>>The website is database extensive and does a lot of queries to generate the
>>pages.
>>
>>We can handle about 1000 concurrent users currently.
>

> Hmmm... Concurrents users on a non connected protocol like http is quite
> hard to evaluate. What do you mean by concurrent?

Concurrent sessions in your webapp server? Mainly a problem of memory
then. Are there sessions stored in a database? filesystem? Are the users
really actives?

>>We need to scale the system almost 10 times the current.

The first question I should have asked is: is your database server able
to handle 10 times more queries? It is often much simplier to
multiplicate the number of servers (you can look at c-jdbc (on objectweb
site) for mysql clustering. Haven't tried it, but look terrific)

Rgds.

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 6 nov. 04, à 17:15, Aurélien DEHAY a écrit :

> ...I'm working on a relatively loaded web platform (nearly 200 million
> hits
> a day, 75 million pages view), and I'm then working on JVM tunning.
> Even
> if the subject is interesting, it might be off topic, you can contact
> me
> direcly if you want...

I don't think Cocoon-related JVM tuning is off-topic here, many of us
are interested in having Cocoon perform as well as possible.

Feel free to discuss this here, and if you're willing to share your
experiences (on the wiki or wherever), all the better!

-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon scalability

Posted by Aurélien DEHAY <ad...@zorel.org>.
Hello.