Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Edward Coffey <ed...@redflex.com.au> on 2004/05/17 03:40:31 UTC

Trouble with background-color for inline-level elements.

Hi all,

I'm trying to place some text on a white background inside a table-cell with a gray background, but cannot seem to manage it. I've tried using inline, inline-container, leader and wrapper tags with background-color set to produce an inline white background, and combinations of just about all of them, but nothing seems to work. The XSL spec states that these elements all support the background-color property (well, wrapper only indirectly), and the renderer in XFDesigner shows the white background exactly as I want it, but FOP seems unable to render it. The "Standards Compliance" page on the FOP website does not mention any issues with the background-color property, nor can I find relevant references to it in the bug list or the mailing list archives. Am I doing something wrong? Here is a snippet of the code I'm using:

<fo:table-cell background-color="lightgray">
	<fo:block>
		<fo:inline background-color="white">Some text</fo:inline>
	</fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>

Thank you,
Ed.

Re: Trouble with background-color for inline-level elements.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Edward Coffey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to place some text on a white background inside a table-cell with a gray background, but cannot seem to manage it. I've tried using inline, inline-container, leader and wrapper tags with background-color set to produce an inline white background, and combinations of just about all of them, but nothing seems to work. The XSL spec states that these elements all support the background-color property (well, wrapper only indirectly), and the renderer in XFDesigner shows the white background exactly as I want it, but FOP seems unable to render it. The "Standards Compliance" page on the FOP website does not mention any issues with the background-color property, nor can I find relevant references to it in the bug list or the mailing list archives. Am I doing something wrong? Here is a snippet of the code I'm using:

background-color is not implemented on fo:inline, fo:inline-container is not
implemented (this is mentioned on the compliance page) fo:wrapper is just a
holder that passes on properties to its children, i.e. the wrapper object
doesnt directly effect the output itself. And the leader only is only
partially implemented (also on compliance page), with one of the missing
properties being background-color.

> <fo:table-cell background-color="lightgray">
> 	<fo:block>
> 		<fo:inline background-color="white">Some text</fo:inline>
> 	</fo:block>
> </fo:table-cell>

Background-color works on table-cells and fo:block. If putting
background-color on fo:block doesnt achieve the effect you want, you can
nested an inner table inside the table cell, with one row and one column and
put the background-color on the inner cell.

Chris