Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/02 22:24:07 UTC

[LANG] Re: Hello and possible addition

Sorry, didn’t put the right prefix.

On January 1, 2018 at 22:28:45, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com) wrote:

Hello Commons,

My name is Otto Fowler ( ottobackwards on github, otto -AT- apache.org at
apache ), and I’m a PMC member of the Apache Metron
<https://metron.apache.org> project.

While working on adding some timing functionality to a Metron feature, I
came across the
Stopwatch
<https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/javadocs/api-release/org/apache/commons/lang3/time/StopWatch.html>
class, but found that it didn’t suite my needs.

What I wanted to do was to create a timing from a top level function in our
Stellar
<https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-stellar/stellar-common>
dsl, and have have a group of related timings, such that the end result was
the overall time of the call, and nested timings of other calls executed
during the dsl execution of that function. These timings would all be
named, and have a path for identification and include timing the language
compiler/execution as well as the function execution itself. It would be
helpful if they were tagged in some way as well, such that the consumer
could filter during visitation.

So I have written StackWatch <https://github.com/ottobackwards/StackWatch>
to provide this functionality, and submitted it in a Metron PR
<https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/873>.

From the PR description:
StackWatch

A set of utility classes under the new package stellar.common.timing have
been added. These provide the StackWatch functionality.

StackWatch provides an abstraction over the Apache Commons StopWatch class
that allows callers to create multiple named and possibly nested timing
operations.

<…>

This class may be more generally useful to this and other projects, but I
am not sure where it would live since we wouldn’t want it in common.

StackWatch uses a combination of Deque and a custom Tree implementation to
create, start and end timing operations.

A Visitor pattern is also implemented to allow for retrieving the results
after the completion of the operation.

See the StackWatch tests for examples of nested function timings.

A quick look at the PR and it’s test or the github project ( they are in
sync ) should show the idea.

I am sending this to see if this functionality would be appropriate for
commons in some way. If so, the I can create the jira and submit the pr.
Even if it is not appropriate, any feedback or pr’s on the github project
would still be most welcome.

Thanks for all the work that has made commons so valuable to other Apache
projects and java developers in general!