Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> on 2006/08/24 21:26:26 UTC

Re: JUnit 3.8.2 has better (?) String diffs

John Embretsen wrote:
> FYI:
>
> JUnit 3.8.2, which was released late last year, includes a number of
> bugfixes and small improvements from the version that is currently
> officially supported by our test harness, 3.8.1.
[snip]
> Try it out if you want. Perhaps we should start recommending JUnit 3.8.2
> instead of 3.8.1?

Where do you see 3.8.1 is recommended?

In the BUILDING.txt I see '3.8.*' being used with a comment saying derby
has been built successfully on 3.8.1. In the testing README I see no
version numbers against JUnit.

Dan.

Re: JUnit 3.8.2 has better (?) String diffs

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> John Embretsen wrote:
>> FYI:
>>
>> JUnit 3.8.2, which was released late last year, includes a number of
>> bugfixes and small improvements from the version that is currently
>> officially supported by our test harness, 3.8.1.
> [snip]
>> Try it out if you want. Perhaps we should start recommending JUnit 3.8.2
>> instead of 3.8.1?
>
> Where do you see 3.8.1 is recommended?
>
> In the BUILDING.txt I see '3.8.*' being used with a comment saying derby
> has been built successfully on 3.8.1. In the testing README I see no
> version numbers against JUnit.

I thought I had seen such a recommendation (3.8.1) in BUILDING.txt
before, but apparently my mind played a trick on me. Sorry for not
having done proper research before posting. Anyway, "recommended" is not
the right word to use, but this is the wording on
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting:

"The usage of JUnit in Derby is currently based on JUnit 3.8.1."

And then there are direct links to JUnit 3.8.1 information.

Once it has been verified that 3.8.2 works as well as 3.8.1 with Derby,
I guess we could update those links.

My point was to let folks know that 3.8.2 has some useful improvements
over 3.8.1, since people may be having a hard time finding this kind of
information on the JUnit web site or SourceForge.

--
John