Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Huseyin Tufekcilerli <hu...@mind2biz.com> on 2006/07/17 09:08:39 UTC

Using svn:// protocol with SSPI

Hello,

I have a subversion server on a W2K3 machine. I have setup the
authentication method with SSPI so we can login to repositories with our
domain usernames/passwords. Everything works fine using http://
protocol but when we use the svn:// protocol, we can only read from the
repositories and can not commit. The reason is that we haven't
configured any svnserve.conf file. We have one repository per project
that results lots of repositories. I don't want to maintain
svnserve.conf files for each repository. Is there any way that we can
read from and write our repositories using svn:// protocol with SSPI
without dealing with .conf files?

Re: Using svn:// protocol with SSPI

Posted by gmu 2k6 <gm...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure it is faster, but right now I'm using svn:// to escape
tunneling in HTTP+WebDAV. I might use svn+ssh:// though, due to PAM
needs and still prevent having to run Apache.

Posted by Huseyin Tufekcilerli <hu...@mind2biz.com>.

Posted by Craig Demyanovich <de...@fastmail.us>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>> I have a subversion server on a W2K3 machine. I have setup the
>> authentication method with SSPI so we can login to repositories with
>> our domain usernames/passwords. Everything works fine using http://
>> protocol but when we use the svn:// protocol, we can only read from
>> the repositories and can not commit. The reason is that we haven't
>> configured any svnserve.conf file. We have one repository per project
>> that results lots of repositories. I don't want to maintain
>> svnserve.conf files for each repository. Is there any way that we can
>> read from and write our repositories using svn:// protocol with SSPI
>> without dealing with .conf files?
>
> The only way to do that would be to extend svnserve yourself...
>
> bye,
>
> Erik.

You might also consider using HTTP with svnperms.conf and svnperms.py, which
can be configured to use a single svnperms.conf file and gets you finer
grained control over user access.

Re: Using svn:// protocol with SSPI

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> I have a subversion server on a W2K3 machine. I have setup the
> authentication method with SSPI so we can login to repositories with our
> domain usernames/passwords. Everything works fine using http://
> protocol but when we use the svn:// protocol, we can only read from the
> repositories and can not commit. The reason is that we haven't
> configured any svnserve.conf file. We have one repository per project
> that results lots of repositories. I don't want to maintain
> svnserve.conf files for each repository. Is there any way that we can
> read from and write our repositories using svn:// protocol with SSPI
> without dealing with .conf files?

The only way to do that would be to extend svnserve yourself...

bye,

Erik.

PS: There's work going on to make svnserve support (an) external SASL
(library). If that library were to provide SSPI auth, this could be
supported in 1.5.