Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/10/30 06:47:22 UTC

svn:mime-type & svn:eol-style properties

Hello, Subversion! How are you?

  Could somebody explain me using of these properties?
  SVN Book says about svn:mime-type determine, is file text or binary
  and it is used for conflicts resolution (merging).

  svn:eol-style determine will be EOL type changed on
  checkouts/checkins or not, and files always stored with LF-style
  eols.

  But nothing is sayed about these things:

  (a) If here is NO scn::eol-style -- what SVN does? Is it equivalent
      to `native' or something other?

  (b) What I should write to svn:eol-style to say `don't touch
      anything'? It seems, taht nativ/CT/LF/CRLF is not a choice in
      such case.

  (c) If svn:mime-type is any binary value (not text/*), and here is
      no svn:eol-style property, does convert SVN eol-style and store
      LF only?

  (d) If svn:mime-type is any binary value (not text/*) and here IS
      svn:eol-style with value, for example, `native', what SVN will
      do?

--
               Lev Serebryakov

Re: svn:mime-type & svn:eol-style properties

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Thursday 30 October 2003 01:47, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Subversion! How are you?
>
>   Could somebody explain me using of these properties?
>   SVN Book says about svn:mime-type determine, is file text or binary
>   and it is used for conflicts resolution (merging).
>
>   svn:eol-style determine will be EOL type changed on
>   checkouts/checkins or not, and files always stored with LF-style
>   eols.
>
>   But nothing is sayed about these things:
>
>   (a) If here is NO scn::eol-style -- what SVN does? Is it equivalent
>       to `native' or something other?

If you have not set the property, then SVN doesn't alter it in any way.  You
get what the file originally had.

>   (b) What I should write to svn:eol-style to say `don't touch
>       anything'? It seems, taht nativ/CT/LF/CRLF is not a choice in
>       such case.

Simply don't set the svn::eol-style property, and it won't touch the eol
style.

>   (c) If svn:mime-type is any binary value (not text/*), and here is
>       no svn:eol-style property, does convert SVN eol-style and store
>       LF only?

These guys did a really smart thing.: in the repository itself, they made no
changes to anything.  Keyword and eol translation are all things that the
client does.  If the svn:eol-style keyword isn't set then nothing happens on
the client side.  The upside to this is if you set a property wrong, and svn
starts treating it like a text file (let's say on import), then you can alter
the mime-type to treat it as binary, and you'll find that you have the
original file you imported with no ill effects from things like keyword and
eol translation.

>   (d) If svn:mime-type is any binary value (not text/*) and here IS
>       svn:eol-style with value, for example, `native', what SVN will
>       do?

Having looked through some of the code, I believe that both the keyword and
eol-style translation won't be performed.  The reason being that most of the
code for the commands have a separate path that they take when dealing with
binary files.

Someone pipe in and correct me if I said anything wrong, but I believe this is
the way it all works.

-John