Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/20 11:12:34 UTC

Alternatives to gitter

Hello,

Over the past months I've been trying to be more active on gitter on the
various camel projects and  overall the user experience was quite terrible
for me (in particular when using the mobile client), as example:

- threads are not shown properly on the iOS client thus messages are
messing up
- messages are extremely slow to load and sometime the message you sent
take quite long to be visible even on your end so you don't actually know
what it is happening
- messages keep being marked as unread even if you did read them
- sometimes you need to close/reopen the thread sidebar to see new messages
for a given thread

I don't know if it is only me but because of my frustration with the tool
I'd like to know if anyone is interested in evaluating some alternatives
(please note that we DON'T necessarily need to switch to something
different).

I'd personally would like to suggest to try out Zulip (
https://zulipchat.com/) as it allow us to have an independent organization (
camel.zulipchat.com) and to login with github/gitter/google so you can
easily join without having to fill gazillion of details but I know it's
streams and topic way of organizing conversations may not be optimal for
everyone.

If anyone has suggestions, let discuss here.

---
Luca Burgazzoli

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 1:37 PM Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com> wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> Yes is true, gitter clients on Android and iOS not the best, also zulip
> looks nice, however my concerns would be the maintenance overhead, we have
> now gitter and mailing list which is enough I think. If we introduce a
> third tool, this could be annoying to keep track of, is just my personal
> opinion on this of course.

I think that if we introduce another tool, the we need to sunset giotter,
we can keep it open for some time but at certain point, we should have only
one IM

> Also, it would be nice if we can evaluate zulip on a small scale and
> compare it with gitter.
>
> On the chat topic, it would be nice if we can have a `dev` room where we
> can discuss dev topics in relation to Camel (something similar to Debezium
> dev channel on gitter), instead of email/jira as sometimes brainstorming as
> async manner would make more sense.

Yeah, it could be much easier with tools like zulip as you can control what
channel/streams to create so we can have everything about camel in a single
place

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com>.
Hi Luca,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I would go for Slack @The-ASF, it’s the "official" slack for Apache project, and we already have a room for Camel.

Regards
JB

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes, go ahead please.

Thanks.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com>.
I'd also give my vote on this:

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Luca,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
There's some information [¹] about what it is supported and what it is
coming, like support for search engine

[1] https://zulipchat.com/for/open-source/

---
Luca Burgazzoli

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
---

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
Yes but you either need to use a Google account or you need to have an @
apache.org mail address or get an invitation, not a huge deal but having
the option to join with github/gitlab is IMHO a good thing.

---
Luca Burgazzoli

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Peter Palaga <pp...@redhat.com>.
+1 for Zulip
-1 for Slack
-1 for Gitter

Thanks,

-- Peter

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Personal standpoint is … personal ;) Personally I hate gitter ;)

About the way of joining The-ASF Slack, I remember INFRA change the policy. I think we can always ask for infra to "open join".

Regards
JB

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello JB,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andrea,

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
Anyway the main concern for me is how to follow every possible channel.
It's already hard now

Re: Alternatives to gitter

Posted by Djordje Bajić <dj...@gmail.com>.

--