Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com> on 2020/07/06 13:41:25 UTC

Replica goes into recovery mode in Solr 6.1.0

I am using Solr version 6.1.0, Java 8 version and G1GC on production. We have 2 shards and each shard has 1 replica. We have 3 collection.
We do not use any cache and also disable in Solr config.xml. Search and Update requests are coming frequently in our live platform.

*Our commit configuration in solr.config are below
<autoCommit>
<maxTime>600000</maxTime>
       <maxDocs>20000</maxDocs>
       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
</autoCommit>
<autoSoftCommit>
       <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:-1}</maxTime>
</autoSoftCommit>

*We used Near Real Time Searching So we did below configuration in solr.in.cmd
set SOLR_OPTS=%SOLR_OPTS% -Dsolr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime=100

*Our collections details are below:

Collection      Shard1  Shard1 Replica  Shard2  Shard2 Replica
Number of Documents     Size(GB)        Number of Documents     Size(GB)        Number of Documents     Size(GB)        Number of Documents     Size(GB)
collection1     26913364        201     26913379        202     26913380        198     26913379        198
collection2     13934360        310     13934367        310     13934368        219     13934367        219
collection3     351539689       73.5    351540040       73.5    351540136       75.2    351539722       75.2

*My server configurations are below:

        Server1 Server2
CPU     Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)        Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
HardDisk(GB)    3845 ( 3.84 TB) 3485 GB (3.48 TB)
Total memory(GB)        320     320
Shard1 Allocated memory(GB)     55
Shard2 Replica Allocated memory(GB)     55
Shard2 Allocated memory(GB)             55
Shard1 Replica Allocated memory(GB)             55
Other Applications Allocated Memory(GB) 60      22
Other Number Of Applications    11      7

Sometimes, any one replica goes into recovery mode. Why replica goes into recovery? Due to heavy search OR heavy update/insert OR long GC pause time? If any one of them then what should we do in configuration?
Should we increase the shard for recovery issue?

Regards,
Vishal Patel

Re: Replica goes into recovery mode in Solr 6.1.0

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.
Actually, I have showed our collection details in Excel format but may be formatting is removed here.

For this you can see https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9JyvJ50Vele9pPJCiMwm25wV4A6x4eD/view

Regards,
Vishal Patel
________________________________
How do you show this? Command for this resume?

Posted by Rodrigo Oliveira <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

When I searched my error "org.apache.http.NoHttpResponseException:  failed to respond" in Google, I found the one Solr jira case : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7483.  I saw a comment of @Erick Erickson<ma...@gmail.com>.
is this issue resolved? Can I get that jira case?
[SOLR-7483] Investigate ways to deal with the tlog growing indefinitely while it's being replayed - ASF JIRA<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7483>
WARN - 2015-04-28 21:38:43.345; [ ] org.apache.solr.handler.IndexFetcher; File _xv.si did not match. expected checksum is 617655777 and actual is checksum 1090588695. expected length is 419 and actual length is 419 WARN - 2015-04-28 21:38:43.349; [ ] org.apache.solr.handler.IndexFetcher; File _xv.fnm did not match. expected checksum is 1992662616 and actual is checksum 1632122630. expected ...
issues.apache.org

In this same error which I got.
My Error Log:
shard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8Bn7jSXspe2HRelh_vJjKy9DsTRl9h0/view
replica: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0fC_n5u3MBMQbXrvxtqaD8vBBXDLR6I/view

Regards,
Vishal Patel
________________________________
Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.
Thanks for quick reply.

Posted by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi>.

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.
Thanks for your input.

Walter already said that setting soft commit max time to 100 ms is a recipe for disaster
>> I know that but our application is already developed and run on live environment since last 5 years. Actually, we want to show a data very quickly after the insert.

you have huge JVM heaps without an explanation for the reason
>> We gave the 55GB ram because our usage is like that large query search and very frequent searching and indexing.
Here is my memory snapshot which I have taken from GC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WPYqg-wPFGnnMu8FopXs4EAGAgSq8ZEG/view
[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/INm-eNbRs_A9CuCjQcxOyoHlX_gmRHHu7FeyMbU1Mj3rOj3UHjYbn0j9tIk8TuM=w1200-h630-p]<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WPYqg-wPFGnnMu8FopXs4EAGAgSq8ZEG/view>
heapusage_before_gc.PNG<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WPYqg-wPFGnnMu8FopXs4EAGAgSq8ZEG/view>
drive.google.com

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LYEdcY9Om_0u8ltIHikU7hsuuKYQPh_m/view
[https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/hzRu4UiUAALHmoZuNi2pmNX-M4W2Um7EL67ee6qn0X_F1hpzlx2DVwGndvQ3K2Y=w1200-h630-p]<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LYEdcY9Om_0u8ltIHikU7hsuuKYQPh_m/view>
JVM_memory.PNG<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LYEdcY9Om_0u8ltIHikU7hsuuKYQPh_m/view>
drive.google.com

https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Query-takes-more-time-in-Solr-8-5-1-compare-to-6-1-0-version-td4458153.html

Why we cannot find the reason of recovery from log? like memory or CPU issue, frequent index or search, large query hit,
My log at the time of recovery
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8Bn7jSXspe2HRelh_vJjKy9DsTRl9h0/view
[https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/htOUfpihpAqncFsMlCLnSUZPu1_9DRKGNajaXV1jG44fpFzgx51ecNtUK58m5lk=w1200-h630-p]<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8Bn7jSXspe2HRelh_vJjKy9DsTRl9h0/view>
recovery_shard.txt<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8Bn7jSXspe2HRelh_vJjKy9DsTRl9h0/view>
drive.google.com

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0fC_n5u3MBMQbXrvxtqaD8vBBXDLR6I/view
[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/WtJhD6JBgBDxbT-hEp59mGl82Z0OIR0CseEKphLm7PGAPwOGB2EXNhe0Dfa5t6E=w1200-h630-p]<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0fC_n5u3MBMQbXrvxtqaD8vBBXDLR6I/view>
recovery_replica.txt<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0fC_n5u3MBMQbXrvxtqaD8vBBXDLR6I/view>
drive.google.com

Regards,
Vishal Patel

________________________________

Posted by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi>.

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by vishal patel <vi...@outlook.com>.
Thanks for reply.

what you mean by "Shard1 Allocated memory”
>> It means JVM memory of one solr node or instance.

How many Solr JVMs are you running?
>> In one server 2 solr JVMs in which one is shard and other is replica.

What is the heap size for your JVMs?
>> 55GB of one Solr JVM.

Regards,
Vishal Patel