Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Shivani Sawhney <sh...@netedgecomputing.com> on 2006/01/30 12:10:30 UTC

Narrow down on an element in a select list with every key press

Hi,

Is it possible, through Struts or JavaScript, to narrow down on an
element in a select list with every key press?

I have a sorted select list for country names. If I have entries for
"Iceland" and "India" in the pick list, then pressing "I" would take me
to "Iceland" but pressing "In" will take me to element starting with "N"
and not to "India". Is there any way that I can narrow down on an
element in a select list with every key press?

This functionality can well be achieved in applications but can this be
achieved in web based solutions. I don't mind using JavaScript too.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Shivani

NetEdge Computing Global Services Private Limited.

A-14, Sector-7, NOIDA U.P. 201-301

Tel #  91-120-2423281, 2423282

Fax #  91-120-2423279

URL  http//www.netedgecomputing.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this
and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation

Re: Narrow down on an element in a select list with every key press

Posted by Raghu Kanchustambham <kr...@gmail.com>.
Shivani,
You may want to take a look at the suggest tag provided by
Struts-layout taglibrary.

http://struts.application-servers.com/suggest/index.html

I have personally used this tag and it is quite easy to get it
working. The best thing is that you do not need to write a single line
of Javascript. Everything is encapsulated into this Tag.

The example listed is very close to what you want. When you write your
"callback" Class (in the above example - CountrySuggestAction)  you
can decide the "list" that "qualifies" with your keypress.

Also I strongly recommend this set of tags to anyone who wants to have
some "rich" functionality and do not want to move to JSF. The tabs
functionality, interdependent combos, treeviews, sorting, paging etc
are very useful and easy to use. Besides as I understand from their
site this is mature for more than 5 years.

I have been using their tags and they ROCK ! :-)

HTH,
Raghu