Posted to dev@hudi.apache.org by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/07 06:58:13 UTC

Any plan to support hudi running on S3 ?

Hi

I know that the Hudi can only running on HDFS,  while s3 is much cheaper
than hdfs storage.  so just ask:
any plan to support hudi + s3, say make the storage layer to be pluggable ,
and have the hdfs/s3/oss impl etc.
btw  do we hudi have the strong dependency on the atomic rename semantic ?
If sure, it may be some problem
to move it to s3 ?

Thanks.

Re: Any plan to support hudi running on S3 ?

Posted by Pratyaksh Sharma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Openlnx,

+1 to what Syed has mentioned. Additionally, the meta files are created and
maintained in the same file system in which you are creating your Hudi
dataset. So there is no hard dependency of meta files on HDFS.

Also to answer your question, every commit meta file in .hoodie folder is a
small file which does not go well with DFS. To take care of this, Hudi
archives older commits into a sequential log. You can go through the
following links to get a better understanding.

1. https://hudi.apache.org/configurations.html#compaction-configs.
2.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HUDI/FAQ#FAQ-HowdoItoavoidcreatingtonsofsmallfiles
.