Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Madhav Bhargava <un...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/29 22:24:31 UTC

HttpSession facade

I was going thru the struts source code and was in particular reading the
way they have implemented the synchronizer token pattern for preventing
multiple submits on transacional pages.

I saw that they have synchronized on session ID attribute. Is it possible
that multiple session share the same session ID? There is noting in the
servlet API that mandates it.

~madhav

--
When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not
know it, but for the sake of defending those that do

RE: Struts Book?

Posted by John De Lello <Jo...@DelWare.com>.
I recommend:

http://www.objectsource.com/

It's a free PDF book

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Struts: The Complete Reference

* http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/BOOKS/ISBN-0072231319

On 8/30/06, Pankaj Gupta <Pa...@hsc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone suggest a good Struts book covering advanced Struts topics and
> covering Struts 1.2.
>
> regards,
> Pankaj

-- HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Struts Book?

Re: HttpSession facade

Posted by Scott Van Wart <sc...@indosoft.com>.
Madhav Bhargava wrote:
> I was going thru the struts source code and was in particular reading the
> way they have implemented the synchronizer token pattern for preventing
> multiple submits on transacional pages.
>
> I saw that they have synchronized on session ID attribute. Is it possible
> that multiple session share the same session ID? There is noting in the
> servlet API that mandates it.
All I know is from tinkering around in the source myself.  I think the
idea behind a session facade is to provide a bridge between your typical
session (want a session, get a session), and expected behavior in a
clustered or multi-VM environment.  In the latter case you might have
two physical computers that process two different requests from the same
user (with the same ID).  The session needs to be serialized and sent
between computers so each computer behaves as if they know about the
original session equally well.  Rather than sending every bit of session
information to every machine (or in smaller environments, every
process), the "session facade" handles management of session information
in case this session information needs to be shared with another provider.

Wow, that was fun.  Anyways, while two or more users WON'T share the
same session ID, the stuff still needs to be synchronized.  One web
request might be writing information to the session while another is
trying to read it to service a subsequent request from the same user.

- Scott