Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2021/12/13 09:19:08 UTC

Log4Shell

Hi *,

How about putting a statement on our Sling homepage regarding Log4Shell?
Commons Log is using Logback so we should be fine. Carsten, Chetan?

Regards,
O.

Re: Log4Shell

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Monday, 13 December 2021 17:13:38 CET Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I did a check as well and couldn't find anything.
>
> I guess the only place where log4j2 might be included is by pax exam
> tests - not sure about that though.

Pax Exam is using log4j 1.x. I'm already looking into it to double check and
update.

At least we should have a statement on our homepage for Sling Starter which is
using Sling Commons Log.

O.

Re: Log4Shell

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe

Re: Log4Shell

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Log4Shell

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 11:36 AM Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...we could state that Sling based applications are not affected if they
> use the standard logging setup with commons log and log4j-over-slf4j and
> if there no application bundles embedding a vulnerable log4j version...

Isn't there a (vague) risk that one of our transitive dependencies
embeds log4j2 ?

If we make a statement I think it should include the list of modules
we have checked as "not embedding log4j2" and describe the method used
for that check.

I suppose running "mvn dependency:tree | grep <some pattern>" is a
reasonable way of checking, so maybe this can be the script used to
check, from the top of a complete checkout of the Sling modules:

  $ export PATTERN=<grep pattern that detects unwanted dependencies>
  $ find . -name pom.xml | while read pom; do pushd $(dirname $pom);
mvn dependency:tree | grep $PATTERN ; popd ; done

-Bertrand

Re: Log4Shell

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,