Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2005/04/06 00:42:47 UTC

Need testers for gump3 branch + windows

Hi gang,

I just committed some updates to the gump3 branch that "on my machine",
allow me to run on cygwin+winxp+python2.4-win32. Could some people try and
follow

  http://wiki.apache.org/gump/GumpThree

And let me know where it breaks?

Cheers,

Leo

Re: Need testers for gump3 branch + windows

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>I just committed some updates to the gump3 branch that "on my machine",
>>allow me to run on cygwin+winxp+python2.4-win32. Could some people try and
>>follow
>
> Some cygwin testing:

Thanks!

> $ bash gump webgump
> hostname: invalid option -- s
> Try `hostname --help' for more information.
> ./bin/debug: line 24:
> /cygdrive/f/data/Python/Gump3-SVN/webgump/lib/apache2-inst
> all/current/bin/httpd: No such file or directory

ah right, I suspect that the "webgump" code will currently only "work on
my machine", and even that is dubious. I have no idea whether we should
move forward with it. Basically for me it mostly depends on how much
time Stefano and fellow cocooners want to invest in dynagump, 'cuz I
certainly can't get that implemented on my own.

> $ bash gump kill
> ps: unknown option -- o

ugh. I forgot; one pretty much cannot count on ps working well on cygwin
at all. -o is probably a GNU extension. We'll probably have to
grep/sed/awk our way through this. "Please file an issue" kind of thing ;)

> BTW: On posix I was able to lock the "pid file" and test if that file was
> still locked, i.e. the process was running. For cron based automatic runs I
> think that is nicer than requiring a manual kill. Something (IMHO) to add to
> the wish list sometime.

Well, I'm no expert, but I believe that file locking is usually not
considered very reliable or portable. At least the sysvinit packages
that float around various linux distributions inspect /proc and compare
with a pid file instead of using locking. If its worked for unix since
sysv, it might make sense just to copy. In fact, I basically took a look
at the sh functions sourced from /etc/init.d files and tried to copy
what they did. Just need to figure out how to interact with /proc on
cygwin and we can lose the use of "ps" and be portable and robust and
all. I.e. (from /lib/lsb/init-functions on my machine, snippet copyright
Chris Lawrence, all rights reserved)

pidofproc () {
     local pidfile line i pids= status
     set -- `POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 getopt "p:" $*`
     pidfile=

     for i in $*; do
         case $i in
             -p)  pidfile=$2; shift 2;;
             --)  shift; break;;
         esac
     done

     if [ -z "$pidfile" ]; then
         pidfile=/var/run/$(basename "$1").pid
     fi

     if [ -f "$pidfile" ]; then
         read -d "" line < "$pidfile"
         for i in $line; do
             if [ -z "$(echo $p | sed 's/[0-9]//g')" -a -d "/proc/$i" ];
then
                 pids="$i $pids"
             fi
         done
         if [ -n "$pids" ]; then
             echo "$pids"
             return 0
         else
             return 2 # program is dead and /var/run pid file exists
         fi
     elif [ -x /bin/pidof ]; then
         /bin/pidof -o %PPID $1
         status="$?"
         [ "$status" = 1 ] && return 3 # program is not running
         return 0
     else
         return 4 # program or service is unknown
     fi
}

Do you have any pointers to docs where they suggest doing things
differently?

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> I just committed some updates to the gump3 branch that "on my machine",
> allow me to run on cygwin+winxp+python2.4-win32. Could some people try and
> follow

Some cygwin testing:

$ bash gump webgump
hostname: invalid option -- s
Try `hostname --help' for more information.
./bin/debug: line 24:
/cygdrive/f/data/Python/Gump3-SVN/webgump/lib/apache2-inst
all/current/bin/httpd: No such file or directory

$ bash gump kill
ps: unknown option -- o
Usage: ps [-aefls] [-u UID]
Report process status

 -a, --all       show processes of all users
 -e, --everyone  show processes of all users
 -f, --full      show process uids, ppids
 -h, --help      output usage information and exit
 -l, --long      show process uids, ppids, pgids, winpids
 -s, --summary   show process summary
 -u, --user      list processes owned by UID
 -v, --version   output version information and exit
 -W, --windows   show windows as well as cygwin processes
With no options, ps outputs the long format by default
gump: Fatal error!

Process ID specified in Pygump lockfile not found, no process to kill!

BTW: On posix I was able to lock the "pid file" and test if that file was
still locked, i.e. the process was running. For cron based automatic runs I
think that is nicer than requiring a manual kill. Something (IMHO) to add to
the wish list sometime.

regards

Adam

Re: Need testers for gump3 branch + windows

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I had similar problems. However instead of seeing messages about
$PATH, I saw the contents of $PATH, which rather messes up the
messages!

Hopefully this can be fixed?

==

I also had difficulty working out how to create the gump database - in
the end I used:

mysqladmin -u root -p create database gump
(hope I've remembered it right)

And then I used the graphical mysql administrator to create the user
(could not work out how to use this to create databases)

Got stuck with ssh, and ran out out time.

S.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.

> For those reading along, Adam and I find out on ICQ that his "bin"
> subdirectory was in some way wrong containing entirely different cruft.
> Hence, he was missing PrintPath and testrunner.py....

Yeah, I think I must've used an old old SVN client that (due to some change
in the repository) completely dork the directory. I assume it failed to
follow a move or something. If other see "python" and such under bin, look
to your SVN client...

regards

Adam

Re: Need testers for gump3 branch + windows

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
For those reading along, Adam and I find out on ICQ that his "bin"
subdirectory was in some way wrong containing entirely different cruft.
Hence, he was missing PrintPath and testrunner.py....

cheers,

Leo

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
Having gotten further...

1) Test fails. Something is missing (or renamed):

$ bash gump test
c:\Python24\python.exe: can't open file
'f:\data\Python\Gump3-SVN\bin\testrunner
.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

$ bash gump run

2) Not sure what I get from this...
      _____
     |   __|_ Apache_ ___
     |  |  | | |     | . |
     |_____|___|_|_|_|  _|

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
>   http://wiki.apache.org/gump/GumpThree
>
> And let me know where it breaks?

I'm new to Cygwin, so probably failed to install things exactly as you
specified (a problem for later stages, I suspect), however, I can't seem to
get past the mysql step.

$ bash  gump test
gump: line 1: /cygdrive/f/data/Python/Gump3-SVN/bin/PrintPath: No such file
or d
irectory gump: Fatal error!

Cannot find mysql. Please retrieve it from

     http://www.mysql.com/

and install it. If it is already installed, modify your $PATH variable
to point to it. You can customize the $PATH variable inside a file named

  /cygdrive/f/data/Python/Gump3-SVN/tsws1-settings.sh

if you wish.

ajack@tsws1 /cygdrive/f/data/Python/Gump3-SVN
$ which mysql
/cygdrive/f/apps/mysql/bin/mysql