Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Timothy Bennett <ti...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/11 18:12:23 UTC

Re: "simple" bundle

On 4/21/06, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> You might have noticed issue FELIX-61 for creating a "simple"
> subproject, is this an area where you might be able to help? Even if you
> can just explain what you did to mavenize it? Were you able to make is a
> self-contained project or did it result in multiple maven projects?

Sorry for being so late in responding... been a slacker the last month or so
with the lists... catching up finally...

Yeah... I can help... With Maven-2 you can build a project that has multiple
modules.  The top layer POM defines all the common project attributes.
Then, each subfolder defines each module with it's own POM for generating
the artifact for that module.  You can use maven to either build modules
individually, or you can build all the modules at once from the top level.

I recall that's how I constructed my project a while ago, when first
experimenting with using maven-2 to build OSGi bundles of the Oscar
tutorials.  This worked well, especially when producing althernating impls
of the spell-check service as different bundles.

Let me know if you'd like me to document/share further and how... be glad to
contribute.

-> richard

Re: "simple" bundle

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Timothy Bennett wrote:
> Yeah... I can help... With Maven-2 you can build a project that has
> multiple
> modules.  The top layer POM defines all the common project attributes.
> Then, each subfolder defines each module with it's own POM for generating
> the artifact for that module.  You can use maven to either build modules
> individually, or you can build all the modules at once from the top
> level.
>
> I recall that's how I constructed my project a while ago, when first
> experimenting with using maven-2 to build OSGi bundles of the Oscar
> tutorials.  This worked well, especially when producing althernating
> impls
> of the spell-check service as different bundles.
>
> Let me know if you'd like me to document/share further and how... be
> glad to
> contribute.

Well, the there are two things to consider from my point of view:

   1. We want to put the simple example bundle into the Felix svn repo
      and I would like this to only reside in one directory.
   2. Since the simple bundle will also be included in the framework
      release, I want to include an Ant build file with it too.

So, first things first. If you have a solution for (1) then you could
just post the pom file for it (and let me know if there is any special
project directory structure that I need), then I could try it out locally.

Then we can go from there.

Sound reasonable?

-> richard