Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Distribution Lists <di...@e-securenetworks.net> on 2003/07/09 17:02:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache - not to listen on port 443

Thanks for all you help. I bit the bullet and done this the virtual host
way rather that run 2 httpd server on one box.

What I wanted was to have httpd listening on 2 ports, port 80 and port
2222, and to use 2 different cgi-bin's. Port 80 is my public site,  but
there are some administrative cgi's, which for securities sake I didn't
want in cgi-bin on my public httpd server, hence the separate httpd server
and cgi-bin, with port 2222 filtered with iptables.

In hindsight virtual hosts was the proper way of doing this.

http://www.e-securenetworks.net
http://www.shopper-holic.com
http://www.planet247.net
http://www.auction-holic.com

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache - not to listen on port 443

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Wednesday 09 July 2003 10:02, Distribution Lists wrote in an attempt
to be witty and informative:
> Thanks for all you help. I bit the bullet and done this the virtual
> host way rather that run 2 httpd server on one box.
>
> What I wanted was to have httpd listening on 2 ports, port 80 and
> port 2222, and to use 2 different cgi-bin's. Port 80 is my public
> site,  but there are some administrative cgi's, which for securities
> sake I didn't want in cgi-bin on my public httpd server, hence the
> separate httpd server and cgi-bin, with port 2222 filtered with
> iptables.

You should look at the mod_auth section of the Apache Docs, they have a
better way of doing what you want to do.

> In hindsight virtual hosts was the proper way of doing this.
<snip>

the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker
http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org