Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nishant Rao <kn...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/16 21:18:04 UTC

Re: Excel and dropdowns

Hi Anthony,

I'm guessing this is regarding HSSF/POI based parsing of Excel...well, in
cases of macro based dropdowns, I was unable to get POI to open and parse
the file. However, I was able to modify my excel file slightly in order to
get the functionality I needed.

Basically, in Excel click on the cell where you need a dropdown and then
goto Data->Validation. In the Settings tab, under Validation criteria select
"List" and make sure "In-cell dropdown" is selected on the right. Then you
can specify what values are allowed for that cell (and hence will display in
the dropdown). Note that the only drawback here is that the list of allowed
values needs to be on the same sheet as this cell. btw, you can also just
specify a list directly in the validation settings box without needing
corresponding cells on the sheet !

hope that helps :-)

thanks,
nishant