Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mathieu Fenniak <ma...@replicon.com> on 2017/03/17 17:27:47 UTC

Streams RocksDBException with no message?

Hey all,

So... what does it mean to have a RocksDBException with a message that just
has a single character?  "e", "q", "]"... I've seen a few.  Has anyone seen
this before?

Two example exceptions:
https://gist.github.com/mfenniak/c56beb6d5058e2b21df0309aea224f12

Kafka Streams 0.10.2.0.  Both of these errors occurred during state store
initialization.  I'm running a single Kafka Streams thread per server, this
occurred on two servers about a half-hour apart.

Mathieu

Re: Streams RocksDBException with no message?

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.
We're talking about `ulimit` (CLI tool) and the `nofile` limit (number of
open files), which you can access via `ulimit -n`.

Examples:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/61334
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21515463/how-to-increase-maximum-file-open-limit-ulimit-in-ubuntu

Depending on the operating system, the default setting is often pretty low
(e.g. 1024).  Bump this up to sth higher, like 16k or 32k.  Of course, an
even better approach is to monitor this metric on your servers/brokers, and
-- with this collected information -- bump the setting to a reasonable
value for your environment.

-Michael

Posted by Sachin Mittal <sj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,