Posted to imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org by David Wood <da...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/03/31 15:21:07 UTC

Evolution and promotion

 Imperius at this stage is primarily an SPL parser and evaluation engine.
There is minimal (IMHO) support for all the infrastructure that is
generally required for policy.   A proper framework for policy enforcement
points, policy decision points, policy repositories and a set of tools to
make working with policies easier could be a next step, however, this
would probably be independent of SPL.  This would be less an evolution
around SPL than a generalization of the toolkit for a larger policy
platform.

As far as next steps for Imperius...there is currently a small user
community, but my vote would be for promotion based on the fact that
Imperius is a working implementation of an accepted standard (CIM-SPL at
dmtf.org).  Given that it implements a standard, it would seem to make
sense to promote Imperius and host it at Apache.  And of course if we have
agreement about whether and how to evolve Imperius that would only
strengthen the case for promotion.

Thoughts?

David Wood
Policy Technologies Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

Re: Evolution and promotion

Posted by Jorge Lobo <jl...@us.ibm.com>.
In the moment the code is openly available  I would think the DMTF will be
happy to promote it.

Jorge
Jorge Lobo
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center