Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by eduamt <do...@hotmail.com> on 2013/06/04 09:38:58 UTC

Shiro as a module in JBoss 7

Hi!

I'd like to know if anyone tried to configure Shiro as a separate module in
the modules directory in Jboss 7.
Something like what is described here:
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossAS7SecurityCustomLoginModules

If yes could you give me some hints?!

Thanks in advance

Re: Shiro as a module in JBoss 7

Posted by picpoc <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Your link is referring to 2 kinds of modules:
- The JAAS login module, which can be viewed as a shiro authentication realm
in the JAAS security framework (more or less as a JAAS login module can also
handle user interaction during the authentication).
- The Jboss AS 7 module system that is used to achieve modular classloading.
And in your link: a JAAS login module is deployed as a JBoss AS 7 module
(Java guys like modular stuff...).

So I guess, you're asking about hints of using Shiro behind JAAS, if so, you
can try this link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5736077/how-can-i-delegate-jaas-authorization-checks-to-shiro

Personnaly, I wouldn't recommend such a thing, you will end up with lots of
hacks and will loose the ability to use most of the more interesting shiro
features. Moreover, if both JAAS and Shiro are java security frameworks, I
don't think their targets/scopes are the same: JAAS is more a low-level,
container-wide security framework whereas Shiro is more high-level,
application-wide.