Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com> on 2009/01/15 23:32:32 UTC

JIRA statuses resolved vs. closed

Does anyone know the difference between the "resolved" and "closed" JIRA statuses?

I've just been using resolved for stuff that I commit.

--David

RE: JIRA statuses resolved vs. closed

Posted by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com>.
The implication in the UI seems to be that Resolved means the fix has been committed, and Closed means that it's been verified and all parties are satisfied?

Seems subtle, and probably just a matter of project-by-project convention. Closed seems to be the more resolute way to mark something as done and done.

It all sort of feels awash since you can always just modify your searches to include or exclude tasks marked resolved.

How about this for a proposed convention:

1) If you are the committer, mark something as resolved
2) If you are the original owner of the task or original assignee, then you mark it as closed after you're totally satisfied

Does that seem good? So anything committed is at least resolved, and closed means the person who brought up the problem in the first place is officially satisfied with the result.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
I also use resolved.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
The way I've used it is that, when committed, it's resolved.  It might
be re-opened if the fix is found inadequate.  But when that commit first
appears in a release, the issue is closed, since the fix is now in the
field, listed in release notes, etc., and thus is a fact of history.  If
further problems arise, a new issue should be opened.

Doug

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.
On Thursday 15 January 2009 23:32:32 David Reiss wrote:
> Does anyone know the difference between the "resolved" and "closed" JIRA
> statuses?

The Atlassian docs [1] say that "resolved" is for stuff that get committed.
Once the commit has been tested, its issue can be marked as "closed".

Cheers.

1 - http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/default_workflow.html