Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2000/04/15 00:48:50 UTC

Re: how to make static pages with cocoon?

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:30:23 -0700, Robert Curlee <rc...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> We have been exclusively using Cocoon to generate dynamic pages for a
> couple of weeks now.  Every once in a while (1 in 20 hits or so) Cocoon
> returns an error page.  I can't figure out what the problem is.  We have
> tried to up the memory for Java, but this only helped a little.  We've
> decided to have Cocoon generate static web pages as a temporary work
> around because there is a need to make the site more stable.
>
> It appears Cocoon will not generate a static web tree on its own.  What
> is the best tool which works with Cocoon to create static html pages?

You can run Cocoon in command line and tell it to process your XML pages and
output the result in a different page:

java org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon -p <properties file> file.xml file.html

(Be aware that you need to apply a small patch to Cocoon 1.7.2 to have it run
correctly in the command line. I posted the patch on this mailing list a few
days ago.)

Another solution which is useful in case you produce output based on the user
agent is to use some tool like cURL (http://curl.haxx.nu/) which allows you to
retrieve the content of a Web site locally. It is useful because you can
specified the user agent to be presented to the Web server.

Greetings,
Ovidiu

--
Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>