Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Warren <pe...@nomad.org> on 2007/06/01 19:26:30 UTC

Re: [solved] comet read event

My client code was the problem.  I had been thinking of the comet
interaction with the server as similar to a socket, open it once and
then read and write merrily from either end.  I forgot that comet is
still operating over http and the client needs to send http headers for
each request.  So the fix in my client code is simply to open a new
HttpURLConnection for each client request, which hopefully does not
establish a new socket connection to the server each time ("Each
HttpURLConnection instance is used to make a single request but the
underlying network connection to the HTTP server may be transparently
shared by other instances" -- from javadoc for HttpURLConnection).  See
added "initConnection()" line below.

Peter

### from CometTestClient below ###

    public void test() throws IOException {
        out.println("test 1");
        out.flush();

        String line = read(urlConn.getInputStream());
        System.out.println(line);

--->	initConnection(); // reconnect to url - sends new http headers
        out.println("test 2");
        out.flush();

        line = read(urlConn.getInputStream());
        System.out.println(line);

        out.close();
        urlConn.disconnect();
    }

Re: [maybe not solved] comet read event

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Peter Warren wrote:
> Hmm, ok.  Sending the headers up causes the comet servlet to behave as I
> expected, one BEGIN event generated on the first client request and one
> READ event generated on the second request.  In my simple test, the
> comet servlet doesn't receive the headers as data.  If I don't send up
> the headers on the second request, the READ event is never generated (in
> fact no event is generated) and the client hangs waiting for a response
> from the comet servlet.  Doesn't your cometgui send the headers with
> each request?

nope, cause I modify the next request to not send headers, cometgui is
100% manual :)

Filip

Posted by Peter Warren <pe...@nomad.org>.

Re: [solved] comet read event