Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Peter Neubauer <pn...@scancoin.se> on 2005/08/23 16:54:52 UTC

Driver30 where is it used?

Hi,
I had a problem with the Driver30 being chosen from Kodo,
http://www.solarmetric.com/Support/Newsgroups/news/article.php?id_article=%3Cde5ek5%24ecp%241%40solarmetric.netmar.com%3E&grp_id=1

What is the Driver30 used for and should it sit in derby.jar and not in some derbyclient.jar, since it handles Network URL as protocol?
Shouldn't it be enough to have just the EmbeddedDriver packaged with the server?

/peter

Re: Driver30 where is it used?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Peter Neubauer wrote:

> Hi,
> I had a problem with the Driver30 being chosen from Kodo,
> http://www.solarmetric.com/Support/Newsgroups/news/article.php?id_article=%3Cde5ek5%24ecp%241%40solarmetric.netmar.com%3E&grp_id=1
>
> What is the Driver30 used for and should it sit in derby.jar and not in some derbyclient.jar, since it handles Network URL as protocol?
> Shouldn't it be enough to have just the EmbeddedDriver packaged with the server?
>
> /peter

The driver class that applications should load for embedded Derby is
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver. However the actual driver loaded
into the DriverManager by Derby will be Driver20 or Driver30. The
different driver loaded is to support JDBC 2.0 or JDBC 3.0 environments
transparently to the application, namely JDBC 2.0 for JDK 1.3 and JDBC
3.0 for JDK 1.4 and 1.5.

Applications should not acceess the Driver20 or Driver30 classes
directly, the public api is EmbeddedDriver and DriverManager (e.g.
DriverManager.getConnection).

Driver20 and Driver30 do not handle the network URL, only the embedded,
thus they are required in derby.jar.

Dan.