Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/03 18:27:26 UTC

Re: native-lang.html suggestions now in staging...

On 07/30/2014 02:00 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 07/30/2014 10:50 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

Ok, back to these ideas above. In my mind --

maintained -> current, and current -> maintained so these are one in the
same from a logical standpoint despite nuances in definition.

In a similar fashion, outdated -> unmaintained -> help wanted.
So why not just call it "unmaintained" and provide some further
explanation by what is meant by this versus a separate entry in the table.

Mostly, I am just trying to keep the maintenance and general
understanding of this page simpler for everybody.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 9/6/14, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 03/08/2014 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/native-lang-new.html
>
> I see work on this has stopped, but the page was rather OK and a good
> replacement for
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html

I never got any final approval on the sortable table, the js is there,
is just about connecting it. The same can be said to the font awesome.

>> Ok, back to these ideas above. In my mind --
>> maintained -> current, and current -> maintained so these are one in the
>> same from a logical standpoint despite nuances in definition.
>> In a similar fashion, outdated -> unmaintained -> help wanted.
>
> "Help wanted" is much clearer to people who are casually scanning the
> page and who are, in most cases, not native English speakers. So I tried
> to implement that. Similarly, I changed "Distribution" into "OpenOffice
> availability" since I find it clearer for non-native speakers.
>
>> So why not just call it "unmaintained" and provide some further
>> explanation by what is meant by this versus a separate entry in the
>> table.
>
> I completed the table with the recommended workflow for updating a
> translation.
>
>> Mostly, I am just trying to keep the maintenance and general
>> understanding of this page simpler for everybody.
>
> I think it's pretty good now. Any other fixes to do before we replace
> the old native-lang.html with this one?
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: native-lang.html suggestions now in staging...

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Kay for link. I saw your changes.
Regards,
Wlada

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/06/2014 05:38 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 03/08/2014 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/native-lang-new.html
>
> I see work on this has stopped, but the page was rather OK and a good
> replacement for
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html
>
>> Ok, back to these ideas above. In my mind --
>> maintained -> current, and current -> maintained so these are one in the
>> same from a logical standpoint despite nuances in definition.
>> In a similar fashion, outdated -> unmaintained -> help wanted.
>
> "Help wanted" is much clearer to people who are casually scanning the
> page and who are, in most cases, not native English speakers. So I tried
> to implement that. Similarly, I changed "Distribution" into "OpenOffice
> availability" since I find it clearer for non-native speakers.
>
>> So why not just call it "unmaintained" and provide some further
>> explanation by what is meant by this versus a separate entry in the
>> table.
>
> I completed the table with the recommended workflow for updating a
> translation.
>
>> Mostly, I am just trying to keep the maintenance and general
>> understanding of this page simpler for everybody.
>
> I think it's pretty good now. Any other fixes to do before we replace
> the old native-lang.html with this one?

yes, I remember now that there were discussions but IMHO at the end only
about minor things. So, let's use the new webpage now ad improve over

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/08/2014 Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/projects/native-lang-new.html
>>

> I see work on this has stopped, but the page was rather OK and a good
> replacement for
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html
>
>  Ok, back to these ideas above. In my mind --
>> maintained -> current, and current -> maintained so these are one in the
>> same from a logical standpoint despite nuances in definition.
>> In a similar fashion, outdated -> unmaintained -> help wanted.
>>

> "Help wanted" is much clearer to people who are casually scanning the page
> and who are, in most cases, not native English speakers. So I tried to
> implement that. Similarly, I changed "Distribution" into "OpenOffice
> availability" since I find it clearer for non-native speakers.
>
>  So why not just call it "unmaintained" and provide some further
>> explanation by what is meant by this versus a separate entry in the table.
>>

> I completed the table with the recommended workflow for updating a
> translation.
>
>  Mostly, I am just trying to keep the maintenance and general
>> understanding of this page simpler for everybody.
>>

> I think it's pretty good now. Any other fixes to do before we replace the
> old native-lang.html with this one?

After skimming the native-language status page, I found these issues:

(1) while the website is "maintained", and the software is "current",
people may think that their help isn't needed. Here are a few phrasings
that could improve this misconception:
"maintained; more volunteers are welcome", or
"maintained; a few volunteers", or
"maintained by 3 volunteers"
etc.
(2) In addition to the website and software columns, I suggest to add a
Help System column, which can really lag behind the software translation,
and isn't apparent in the current table.

Tal

Re: native-lang.html suggestions now in staging...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 8/3/14, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/30/2014 02:00 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Ok, back to these ideas above. In my mind --
>
> maintained -> current, and current -> maintained so these are one in the
> same from a logical standpoint despite nuances in definition.
>
> In a similar fashion, outdated -> unmaintained -> help wanted.
> So why not just call it "unmaintained" and provide some further
> explanation by what is meant by this versus a separate entry in the table.

So, not sure if the idea on having icons instead of terms was approved
or not. I heard people were welcoming of them. The license issue was
sorted out by using fontawesome but I still dont see the table with
the changes.

What is the case for *NOT* having these icons?