Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Gloria Samson <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/30 19:55:36 UTC

Need some help...

Hi

I have started working recently on jetspeed and till now everything was smooth as the tutorial and the mailing list is great..

But now i have one problem coming up..

First thing can i have a portal inside another protal?

I didnt try the above method though.

What i need is to have two portals...

What i did was i created two jetspeed home folder for two portals but a lot of them have some common portlets and use a common web context..

But i dont know how to share them across two portals?

Where shud i specify the path for accessing common files by both the portals?

I tried to use tomcat shared folder and put the jar files and some common files there but the jetspeed home cant access them?

Is there any other way that i can share them?

Please help me out...

I have another problem with the security role of the logged in users but i am trying that right now so may be i will come up with some solution..

Thanks for the help and the great work on jetspeed which is really good for a cool portal website...

Gloria Samson

Re: Need some help...

Posted by Gloria Samson <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Actually some html and jsp files that i use in both the portal folders are common.
I dont care about the xreg files even though they are common i can put them in two folders.
But i want to have a common location for the html and jsp files that i use inside the IFramePortlets.
Plus i want to put the jetspeed related jar files and the class files that are inside the WEB-INF/classes folder instead of copying them in both the portal folders.
When i put the jar files related to jetspeed inside a tomcat/common lib folder after removing them from the jetspeed_home/WEB-INF/lib folder the portal pages cant find the class files.
Is there a particular properties file where i need to specify the path of the jar files and class files?
As when i create a new folder for a new portal inside the tomcat/webapps folder it is assumed that the jetspeed_home folder starts form there.
So every file it looks inside jetspeed_home/ it doesnt load if the files are in a upper directory than the jetspeed_home folder.
Did you get it what i mean to say?
I have tomcat_home/webapps and then two portal folders which are two jetspeed_home folder...
I dont know where exactly i need to specify the path information for the common files...
Thanks a lot for the information and help
Gloria

 Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> wrote:Gloria Samson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have started working recently on jetspeed and till now everything was smooth as the tutorial and the mailing list is great..
>
> But now i have one problem coming up..
>
> First thing can i have a portal inside another protal?
>
> I didnt try the above method though.
>
> What i need is to have two portals...
>
> What i did was i created two jetspeed home folder for two portals but a lot of them have some common portlets and use a common web context..
>
> But i dont know how to share them across two portals?

Can you elaborate on the kind of portlets that you want to share? (RSS, ...)

If you want a usable solution, I would recommend just to duplicate the
java classes and have the urls used (say RSS files, OCF feeds) served
from a common document repository.

This could even work for other files in WEB-INF, like xregs, if properly
configured (I'm not sure at all).

You would made properties pointing to those resources to an absolute URL
like http://localhost/blah/blah
and then you configure all similar properties, and say your web server
to *only* serve these requests from localhost to avoid serving the
source code of your templates, RSS files, etc.

I'm not sure it could ever be made work with JSP. Compilation makes it
much trickier. With Velocity it will not work due to assumption that
templates are files in JetspeedTemplateLocatorService.java

If you arrive further with this approach, please report back. ;-)

WARNING: untested advice! don't blame me if it does not work.

> Where shud i specify the path for accessing common files by both the portals?
>
> I tried to use tomcat shared folder and put the jar files and some common files there but the jetspeed home cant access them?

Funny, it should work for the classes. WRT common files, what files do
you mean? See above.

Re: Need some help...

Posted by Gloria Samson <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Need some help...

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: Need some help...

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Re: Need some help...

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 10:55  AM, Gloria Samson wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have started working recently on jetspeed and till now everything
> was smooth as the tutorial and the mailing list is great..
>
> But now i have one problem coming up..
>
> First thing can i have a portal inside another protal?

Not sure if I understand what you are getting at.

> I didnt try the above method though.
>
> What i need is to have two portals...

Thats possible.

> What i did was i created two jetspeed home folder for two portals but
> a lot of them have some common portlets and use a common web context..

> But i dont know how to share them across two portals?

You could move the common classes into Tomcat's shared directory

> Where shud i specify the path for accessing common files by both the
> portals?

Its container specific, Tomcat uses shared/classes and shared/lib

> I tried to use tomcat shared folder and put the jar files and some
> common files there but the jetspeed home cant access them?

templates: you should be able to give a path outside of the web
application for finding templates, haven't tried it though
PSML: put it in the database
Registries: again, you could try to point the registry service at a
directory outside of the webapp, again haven't tried that

> Is there any other way that i can share them?

In general Jetspeed doesn't support sharing portlets across multiple
webapps.
The recommmended approach is to deploy the portlets to both webapps.
The portlet API will address this in a standard way: Portlet
Applications.

> Please help me out...
>
> I have another problem with the security role of the logged in users
> but i am trying that right now so may be i will come up with some
> solution..
>
> Thanks for the help and the great work on jetspeed which is really
> good for a cool portal website...
>
> Gloria Samson

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software