Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2012/05/20 08:57:34 UTC

[VOTE] Merge HDFS-3042 (auto-HA) branch to trunk

Hi HDFS developers,

As I mentioned last week, work has been completed on the HDFS-3042
branch. This branch has been in progress for a couple months, and
contains support for a zookeeper-based automatic failover solution.
Over the course of the past week, I fixed remaining findbugs and test
issues on the branch, and believe it is ready to merge.

So, I'd like to propose merging the branch into trunk. Please refer to
the JIRA for some details on testing already completed against the
branch. I have also submitted a merge patch to the automatic QA bot on
the HDFS-3042 JIRA. Based on local results, I anticipate it will come
back with no failures. Of course, if there are any failures, they will
be addressed prior to completion of the merge.

All of the commits in this branch have been developed by me and
reviewed by other committers and contributors under a
review-then-commit (RTC) policy. The design has also been extensively
discussed and reviewed on JIRA, with input especially from Eli, Aaron,
Suresh, Bikas, Sanjay, Hari, Mingjie, and Uma (thanks, all!)

My hope is that this can be merged into trunk this week, and then
later merged into branch-2 for inclusion in a 2.0.x or 2.1.x release.
Any further issues or improvements with the automatic failover feature
can be addressed after it is part of the mainline code base.

Please cast your vote by end of day Wednesday 5/23. Given that there
was a "heads-up" email a week ago, and the branch itself has changed
little in the last month, I trust this is enough time for other
committers to cast an informed vote. We need a minimum of three
binding +1 votes in addition to my own in order to complete the merge.
As usual, community members who are not committers should feel free to
cast non-binding votes to voice their opinions.

Of course, I am +1.

Thanks
-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] Merge HDFS-3042 (auto-HA) branch to trunk

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1   Awesome work Todd.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
With the three requisite +1s, the merge vote passes. I'll merge this
to trunk in a moment.

Thanks
-Todd

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (binding)

I've reviewed much of the code committed to the branch and have been
running/testing the system for several weeks now with no major issues.

Good on you, Todd.

--
Aaron T. Myers