Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/06 21:41:58 UTC

vector clocks?

As a Cassandra newbe, after having read the Dynamo paper, I was wondering -
how does Cassandra use timestamps?
- Does it use them internally to resolve conflicts?
- Does it expose vector clocks to clients when internal conflict resolution
fails?
Thanks

Re: vector clocks?

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, currently, is Cassandra using the client provided timestamps for
> conflict resolution?

yes

> Do clients have insight to conflicts Cassandra cannot resolve

no, and there's no such thing as "conflicts Cassandra cannot resolve," either

> What's the semantic of "eventual consistency" in Cassandra's case then?

eventually (immediately, if R + W > N), every read will return the
most recent write

Re: vector clocks?

Posted by Ran Tavory <ra...@gmail.com>.
So, currently, is Cassandra using the client provided timestamps for
conflict resolution? (Or something else?)
Do clients have insight to conflicts Cassandra cannot resolve (assuming it
tries to resolve them)?

Re: vector clocks?

Posted by Kelvin Kakugawa <ka...@gmail.com>.