Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vincent Zhao <gy...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/16 20:08:48 UTC

SVN

SVN doesn't work for me. I click "svn", and the command prompt comes up, and
the screen says, "Type in "svn help" for more information" Then the command
prompt suddenly crashes before I can type anything.

Re: SVN

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
The Subversion command you clicked upon is a command line client. If
you want to use a true Windows client, check out TortoiseSVN
<http://tortoisesvn.net/> which integrates into the Windows Explorer
file browser. It's an extremely popular way for people who use Windows
to interact with Subversion.

Subversion has an established programming interface, so there are
dozens of Subversion clients that plug into various programming
environments including Eclipse and VisualStudio. It's usually how a
typical developer interacts with Subversion.

Non-developers use the various graphical programs and plugins that are
available. There are Subversion GUI clients for Windows, the Linux/KDE
"Konqueror" file browser and for the Mac OS X Finder. There are Qt
based Subversion clients that give you a unified graphical interface
between the various platforms. It all depends upon your taste and
comfort.

That's one of the great things about Subversion: You are not stuck
with a single way of interacting with the repository.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Vincent Zhao <gy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SVN doesn't work for me. I click "svn", and the command prompt comes up, and
> the screen says, "Type in "svn help" for more information" Then the command
> prompt suddenly crashes before I can type anything.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: SVN

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:22, Vincent Zhao <gy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The version of SVN I used was 1.5.6. I was at C:\Program Files\SlikSvn\bin,
> and I wanted to check out a svn respitory. So I click the svn.exe icon. I
> was expecting a command prompt to come out, but then the command propt
> crashed. The seconds I got to see the command prompt, it said,"Type 'svn
> help' for usage" I am running svn on Windows Vista.

It didn't "crash", this is how most command-line programs behave when
invoked from Windows Explorer.

Educating you on how to use the Windows command prompt (in general -
if you need help with the Subversion commands specifically, that's
what this list is here for) is beyond the scope of this mailing list.
You need to open the command prompt from the Start menu, then execute
the program from there.

SVN

Re: SVN

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:08, Vincent Zhao <gy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SVN doesn't work for me. I click "svn", and the command prompt comes up, and
> the screen says, "Type in "svn help" for more information" Then the command
> prompt suddenly crashes before I can type anything.

Subverison is not a GUI application. It is a command-line program.
There are GUI clients (TortoiseSVN, for example, integrates with
Windows Explorer), but svn.exe has to be run via the command prompt.

Please take the time to read through the excellent manual before
attempting to use Subversion. http://svnbook.org/