Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2018/01/05 16:26:18 UTC

Language code for Ukrainian?

Hello all,

since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
in "uk" [2]

The page itself isn't translated yet, so at this early stage we could
easily switch to another subdirectory and redirect users automatically.

Kind regards, Matthias

[1] https://www.openoffice.org/ua/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/uk/

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 05.01.2018 um 21:19 schrieb Marcus:

>> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
>> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
>> in "uk" [2]
>
> OpenOffice is using standards and for language codes it's ISO 639-1 [1].
>
> And please take into account that it's about codes that represent
> *languages* and not countries. This don't need to be the same (e.g.,
> think of "uk" for United Kingdom and "en-GB" for British English). ;-)
>
> Wikipedia shows the same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language =
> "uk" [3].

So it is more like "dk" for Denmark and "da" for Danish...

> I think that means we should change the code for the website.

Thanks for the facts! ;-)

Matthias

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 05/01/2018 Marcus wrote:
>> why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
>> uk (or uk-UA)?
> same difference: country = "ua" [2] and language = "uk" [3].

Probably the project was setup (at the time) with a wrong convention
that indeed mixed up countries and languages. It is absolutely correct
to switch to "uk" and redirect "ua" (for a reasonable period of time at
least) to it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
In that case we would have to change Lang-detect.js for the name of that language.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
It could hurt if "ua" were assigned as a language code in the future.

On 1/6/2018 11:28 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think "ua" is not a language code, it could only be used together with
> "uk" as "uk-UA"
>
> But it surely doesn't hurt if we include it... ;-)
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

> Am 06.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I think the ‘ua’ case should still be tested and the langcode = ‘uk’ statement be included. This is in case ‘ua’ appears from somewhere.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have done it now, it is still staged:
>>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js
>>>
>>> Can you have a look?
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Language code for Ukrainian?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

> On Jan 5, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> since we have some new volunteers for the Ukrainian language on l10n@ I
> am wondering why our homepage for Ukrainian links to "ua" [1] and not to
> uk (or uk-UA)? In our source the translation file for Ukrainian resides
> in "uk" [2]

I’m not sure why either. I took a look at the scripts used to do the migration and setup the redirections from Oracle Kenai and I used uk at the time, but it was empty. I did massive amounts of work in that 48 hours and somehow there was ambiguity. If the you want to switch the site that is fine.

Take a look here [3] You can see that script accepting both codes.

> The page itself isn't translated yet, so at this early stage we could
> easily switch to another subdirectory and redirect users automatically.

Yes

Regards,
Dave

[3] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js?revision=1220318&view=markup <https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/branding/scripts/lang-detect.js?revision=1220318&view=markup>