Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by An...@versit.de on 2008/10/22 08:45:41 UTC

Problem using subversion on a large repository

Hi,

        my problem is using subversion in a large development project

        Just the numbers:

                1 ~ 500 Software Packages with up to ~100 files per
package
                2. a lot of testig data
                3. total size of a checkout is ~5G
                4. HW SLES 10 with 32G memory + 2 quadcore
                5. subversion default package in SLES 10 ->
subversion-1.3.1-1.10

        the size of the repository itself is

                7124552 G

        The problem to delete old (unused) source-trees using the

                svanadmin dump/load

        feature but i'm not able to even dump this repository because
        i have a lot of tags created with:

                svn copy

        and these tags have no space in the rep but seems
        to use a lot of space in the dumps

        a dump of a sigle revision piped into gzip 9 took
        1 day and created a 80 G dumpfile

        the propblem is what I want to admin the repository for

                -> cleanup unused revisons / trees

        i need the dump/filter/load syntax because no other command is
doing this job
        I don't even have enougth disk space to do this and recreating a
new repository with the
        80G gzip 9 single revision dump creates a repository with close
this size
         (remember my current rep size is ~7G)

        -> How i can cleanup my rep ?

Freundliche Grüße

Andreas Otto
ISV13 - Systemverantwortung Leben

Telefon 0431/603-2388
Sophienblatt 33
24114 Kiel

VersIT Versicherungs-Informatik GmbH
Gottlieb-Daimler-Str. 2, 68165 Mannheim
Registergericht: Mannheim HRB 6287
Vorsitzender der Geschäftsführung: Claus-Peter Gutt

Re: Problem using subversion on a large repository

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:45 AM,  <An...@versit.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         my problem is using subversion in a large development project
>
>         Just the numbers:
>
>                 1 ~ 500 Software Packages with up to ~100 files per package
>                 2. a lot of testig data
>                 3. total size of a checkout is ~5G
>                 4. HW SLES 10 with 32G memory + 2 quadcore
>                 5. subversion default package in SLES 10 ->
> subversion-1.3.1-1.10
>
>         the size of the repository itself is
>
>                 7124552 G
>
>         The problem to delete old (unused) source-trees using the
>
>                 svanadmin dump/load
>
>         feature but i'm not able to even dump this repository because
>         i have a lot of tags created with:
>
>                 svn copy
>
>         and these tags have no space in the rep but seems
>         to use a lot of space in the dumps
>
>         a dump of a sigle revision piped into gzip 9 took
>         1 day and created a 80 G dumpfile

How are you doing your dumps?  In the "normal" case of doing a full
repository dump:

svnadmin dump repos > repos.dump

For copies. all you will have in the dumpfile is some minimal copyfrom
information that describes what SVN needs to recreate the copy.  The
dumpfile does not contain an expanded version of the copied files.

If you are dumping specific revisions, are you using the --incremental
option?  If you do not, then I believe you get expanded dump
information as the dump is designed to stand on its own.  Adding the
--incremental option tells dump that you only intend to apply this
back to the same repository.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Problem using subversion on a large repository

Posted by Felix Gilcher <fe...@bitextender.com>.
On Oct 22, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Purple Streak wrote:

> 2008/10/22 Felix Gilcher <fe...@bitextender.com>:
>>> Anyways, how did you dump that single revision? The exact command
>>> would be
>>> of interest. As far as I know, the dumpfile uses a diff format as
>>> well, so
>
> I think by default the dump actually does full versions each time.
> Take a look at
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svnadmin.c.dump.html

Yeah well, we're sort of both right: It will only dump changed files,
but those not as a delta.

> in particular the --deltas option.  I don't know if this is clever
> enough to reduces the copies to almost nothing but I would hope it
> would.  It also depends on how the svndumpfilter works in this
> instance but I would try it and see how you go :)

svndumpfilter will not work with --delta: "There are, however,
disadvantages to using this option—deltified dump files are more CPU-
intensive to create, cannot be operated on by svndumpfilter"

> Also if the dump files still get too big then check out the
> --incremental option as well to split up the dump into separate files.

cheers

felix

--
Felix Gilcher

Bitextender GmbH
Paul-Heyse-Str. 6
D-80336 München

T: +49 89 57 08 15 16
F: +49 89 57 08 15 17
M: +49 172 840 88 28

felix.gilcher@bitextender.com
http://bitextender.com/

Amtsgericht München, HRB 174280
Geschäftsführer: David Zülke, Florian Clever

Re: Problem using subversion on a large repository

Posted by Purple Streak <mr...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Felix Gilcher <fe...@bitextender.com>.
Darn, forgot to CC the list :)