Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Alexander Faust <af...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/03 14:59:33 UTC

Hide Netbeans internal modules in "update center"

Hello,

it is possible to hide some internal Netbeans modules in the "update
center" of the own RCP application. I want to show only modules of my own
cluster / RCP. The most modules are hided by default, but some modules e.g.
"JavaScript 2 Editor" defines the attribute "AutoUpdate-Show-In-Client:
true" in the module MANIFEST.MF. This leads to it being displayed. Is it
possible to overwrite the attribute of the MANIFEST.MF file in the
corresponding module, e.g. by using -J-D switches / parameter with
specifying the code name base of the module? Or is there another mechanism
to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Alex

RE: Hide Netbeans internal modules in "update center"

Posted by Joseph Huber <JH...@stanref.com>.
Alex,

I am still using Netbeans 8, but I patched the Netbeans platform to allow the RCP application to intercept and modify the installed module list before it is displayed.  For my application, different versions go to different customers with certain modules disabled, and this patch allows the different customers to only see the modules we want them to see in the update center.  This may be what you are looking for.

I have included a couple of pictures demonstrating the patch, a text file describing the patch that I made to the platform (taken from a post I made to the old NetBeans forums a number of years ago), and a text file describing how to patch the platform (taken from the old NetBeans Developers FAQ).

There may be better ways to do this in the newer versions of Netbeans.  And I don’t know if this approach can still be used with newer NetBeans versions.

Thank You!

Joe Huber
Standard Refrigeration LLC

=====