Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/06/01 16:54:35 UTC

Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0

On 29/05/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm?view=log
> I took a look.  Two things that I noticed.
>
> 1) It refers the reader to this URL for the latest version of the README:
> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
> But that page does not appear to have been updated since OOo 3.0.   Is
> that URL correct?  If so I can enter a BZ issue so we remember to
> update the contents of that page with the latest README.  On the other
> hand, shouldn't this really be a per-version readme file?

Yes, the web page must be updated before release. And, as for the
per-version URL (like readme-400.html), this is a tradeoff to decide
upon, since this requires manual changes at every release in all cases.
So: either we "archive" old READMEs and link them from
http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html or we use a specific URL.
Considering string freeze and translations, it's probably better to do
the former (archive the old ones) since it can be centralized and has a
lesser impact on contributors.

> 2) The README has many references to the Solaris platform, which is
> not supported in the release.  Should that be migrated into a separate
> readme that would be distributed by the Solaris port?

The Solaris-specific strings are not displayed on other operating
systems (you will see CSS classes that are used to suppress them at the
above URL). That said, they are probably outdated and irrelevant indeed.
I didn't move strings since it might have had an impact on translation.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.
>> Crazy idea. What if we just made a sub domain for each release?  Or
>> equivalently a path under  ooo-site.  Then we could have hard-coded
>> standard paths in the code and other systems like:
>> www.openoffice.org/release/<**version>/README
>> Could also do LICENSE, release notes, even the update notification XML
>> files
Don't forget native language project.
Maybe an URL like:
www.openoffice.org/<**lang>/release/<**version>/README

Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 01/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Crazy idea. What if we just made a sub domain for each release?  Or
>> equivalently a path under  ooo-site.  Then we could have hard-coded
>> standard paths in the code and other systems like:
>> www.openoffice.org/release/<**version>/README
>> Could also do LICENSE, release notes, even the update notification XML
>> files
>>

> Sounds like a very good idea. I'm not sure we will be able to implement it
> in time for OpenOffice 4 (translations get in the way), but it could be
> setup with some basic information already for version 4 (and, if the
> hard-coded URLs in version 4 are different and cannot be changed at this
> stage, we could redirect them appropriately).

Maybe a quick and not too confusing fix for this for 4.0 --

redirect /welcome/readme.html (meta refresh, no need to do anything else)
-> (new) /welcome/readme_4.0.html

Make changes as appropriate to new doc.

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

MzK

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to get away from."

-- Jodie Foster

Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
++++++1

One-click access, Yay!!