Posted to community@apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2006/02/26 19:05:28 UTC

Is CVS no longer accessible in any way?

Hi,

(I was thinking about sending this to infrastructure@ but this might be
of interest outside the infrastructure group, so I send this to
community@)

attached is a mail that I got a few days ago. It is a quite innocent
(and actually a very good) question, that I cannot answer.

For those of you that are not that much involved in the Jakarta and
particularly in the Turbine world: Turbine-3 is sort of an
"experimental/advanced" branch off the regular development tree that is
probably used only in Scarab, which is an issue tracker written by some
"Turbine people" @ tigris.org. Turbine-3 never saw an "official" release
and is considered dead by the main Turbine developers. This is important
to know, because for that reason, this tree was never brought forward to
Subversion.

And now CVS and public CVS access is gone. The sources themselves are
still on minotaur (/x1/home/cvs/jakarta-turbine-3) but I can see no way
to access them any longer from the outside.

That sucks. I'm pretty sure that this is not the only part of the CVS
tree that was not brought forward to Subversion. There is old code,
obsolete code, code referenced in books, manuals, wikis, blogs and
almost everywhere else, that somehow points to the old CVS repository. I
know that for the sake of progress, CVS is gone for good. However, it
might be a good thing to have a documented (I searched a bit on the
www.apache.org/dev/ pages and aside from "CVS has been retired", there
is not much information) way to tell our users how to get the "old
stuff".

Maybe we could set up a read-only CVS through archive.apache.org?

We lost quite a bit of code in the java.apache.org -> jakarta transition
(e.g. I was never able to recover any Turbine code prior to 2.1 and the
transition to Jakarta). IMHO we shouldn't make that mistake again. It is
a good thing that CVS is no longer in active use for new code and
projects. However, CVS is a vital part of our code history and some
people do need access to that history. Just wiping it out is IMHO not a
good thing to do.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 07:05:28PM +0100, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> And now CVS and public CVS access is gone. The sources themselves are
> still on minotaur (/x1/home/cvs/jakarta-turbine-3) but I can see no way
> to access them any longer from the outside.

It is still available through rsync.
Will be available via archive.apache.org/cvs once I get a bit of spare
time again after next week.

vh

Mads Toftum

RE: Is CVS no longer accessible in any way?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> "Turbine people" @ tigris.org. Turbine-3 never saw an "official" release
> and is considered dead by the main Turbine developers. This is important
> to know, because for that reason, this tree was never brought forward to
> Subversion.

> I'm pretty sure that this is not the only part of the CVS
> tree that was not brought forward to Subversion.

All development history should have been moved to Subversion, for reasons
such as the e-mail to which you are responding.  CVS is gone.  Deader than a
Parrot.  Archival only.  Etc.

> We lost quite a bit of code in the java.apache.org -> jakarta transition
> (e.g. I was never able to recover any Turbine code prior to 2.1 and the
> transition to Jakarta).

How did that happen?  :-(

In the archive of java.apache.org (http://archive.apache.org/dist/java/), I
see something called Turbine 2.0 and various turbine files under a
java-icalendar module.

	--- Noel