Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/03/12 02:06:49 UTC

[WEBSITE] Release support lifetime and related content

Hi all,

In working on some changes to the "Releases" section of the wiki, I put
together some information that we may want to publish to the website.

At a minimum, I think that it would be useful to have a statement of our
support model somewhere (perhaps the downloads page).

Take a look here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Releases

-chip

Re: What belongs on the Website? (Was Re: [WEBSITE] Release support lifetime and related content)

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Karen Vuong wrote:
> Can you add a "case studies" section to the content that lives on the
> main website? Within this section, I am thinking a page with links to the
> case studies that live on the wiki. It would be useful for website
> visitors to easily find user stories and see what interesting things are
> being done with CloudStack. Any thoughts?

A link from "About" to a main Case Studies page on the wiki is probably
the right way to go, given the concerns about neutrality, etc. from the
prior discussion:

http://markmail.org/thread/67ootezbf5zq4xtd

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

RE: What belongs on the Website? (Was Re: [WEBSITE] Release support lifetime and related content)

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Hi Joe,

Can you add a "case studies" section to the content that lives on the main website? Within this section, I am thinking a page with links to the case studies that live on the wiki. It would be useful for website visitors to easily find user stories and see what interesting things are being done with CloudStack. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Karen

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:13:54PM -0400, Mathias Mullins wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Are you thinking of leaving this in the wiki or formalizing this out to a
> static page and then updating it as reviews come through? I would think
> for the website and this being very definitive data that this might
> constitute a static page rather than living in the wiki.

I put it on the wiki, specifically so that I could get the content
written down *somewhere*.  I'm more than happy if we decide to move it
around.

The question is "where".  Some of the content is useful for developers
(and therefore should probably stay on the wiki).  Some of the content
is useful for both developers and users (which should probably be on the
website).

I'd ask that the relevant material for devs is considered in any site
redesign.  I'd further suggest that, more generally, developer-centric
documentation should live on the wiki.  For instance, the "contributing"
page has instructions for working with review-board, but it's getting
out of date.  I'd rather allow the dev community to work with the wiki
to evolve processes over time...

> I think the content is good, There were a couple points I had questions
> on.
>
> 1. In the break out of the schedule under "Feature Release Cycle", do you
> want to put a timing for how long a initial vote will last, how secondary
> votes would happen (if needed)

Those are good points.  Just added it to the page.

> and how long after release the merge back
> to the master will happen?

This relates to your second question...  see below.

> Those could be talked about without talking to
> when a release would happen. I know being new to the project that has
> always been kinda confusing to me.
>
> 2. Another thing that is a little confusing (and this could be because I'm
> not a coder) is that the graphics seem to contradict each other about when
> the code merges back to the master. The second graphic under "Release
> Branch Lifecycle" shows coming off the master, but doesn't show a merge
> back to the master when that release is concluded. Is that intentional?
> This may be a learning question on my side.

Commits are expected to happen in both master and release branches.  We
don't "merge back to master" really...  the *normal* flow is to fix in
master, and cherry-pick into the release branch.  The optional approach
is to fix in the release branch, and port over to master.  We don't do a
full merge from branch to master though.

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

Are you thinking of leaving this in the wiki or formalizing this out to a
static page and then updating it as reviews come through? I would think
for the website and this being very definitive data that this might
constitute a static page rather than living in the wiki.

I think the content is good, There were a couple points I had questions
on.

1. In the break out of the schedule under "Feature Release Cycle", do you
want to put a timing for how long a initial vote will last, how secondary
votes would happen (if needed) and how long after release the merge back
to the master will happen? Those could be talked bout without talking to

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
On Mar 11, 2013, at 9:13 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013, at 08:06 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
In working on some changes to the "Releases" section of the wiki, I put
together some information that we may want to publish to the website.

At a minimum, I think that it would be useful to have a statement of our
support model somewhere (perhaps the downloads page).

Take a look here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Releases

Looks good. I'll give it a once over and put it up. We should have a
link from the downloads page, but it probably should have its own page
as well.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net<ma...@zonker.net>
Twitter: @jzb
http://www.dissociatedpress.net/

I think it looks good but I would recommend a link to Jira so folks who find the procedure can check out the particulars especially since there's no easy navigation from the Wiki to Jira :

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK

Regards, Mark

Re: [WEBSITE] Release support lifetime and related content

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.